Fuming about MBNA

I don't use credit cards v often but used my mbna one recently - payment was due so went on their website and clicked on make payment and paid it off on the day it was due. Today I logged in to find they have charged me a late payment fee and no doubt I will be charged interest even though it says quite clearly that payment was submitted on the due date but they are saying it took them 24 hours to process it. I then paged down to see it says it will reach the account the next day which yes i should have read and then went in to the other ways to pay and see that had I done it by BACS then it would have taken 2 hours. Why don't they give you the quickest option first? Why if they have seen the money is submitted then am I still getting charged. I feel that they should at least make it much more obvious that it takes 24 hours for a debit card payment to hit. Do I have a point here or is my argument futile? and before anyone says it - if I use it again I will definitely pay by BACS!!!
Smile though your bank is breaking:)

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    54druids wrote: »
    I don't use credit cards v often but used my mbna one recently - payment was due so went on their website and clicked on make payment and paid it off on the day it was due. Today I logged in to find they have charged me a late payment fee and no doubt I will be charged interest even though it says quite clearly that payment was submitted on the due date but they are saying it took them 24 hours to process it. I then paged down to see it says it will reach the account the next day which yes i should have read and then went in to the other ways to pay and see that had I done it by BACS then it would have taken 2 hours. Why don't they give you the quickest option first? Why if they have seen the money is submitted then am I still getting charged. I feel that they should at least make it much more obvious that it takes 24 hours for a debit card payment to hit. Do I have a point here or is my argument futile? and before anyone says it - if I use it again I will definitely pay by BACS!!!

You've answered your own question. You have no case and your argument is futile. The only person you should be 'fuming' with is yourself.

In future set up a direct debit so you don't find yourself in this situation again, or manage your time better so your payments are made well in advance rather than on the actual due date itself.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Just ask them nicely and they'll probably refund it all
  • 54druids
    54druids Posts: 516 Forumite
    so why if they state that the payment has been submitted do they not show it as received until the next day? everything else I pay with a debit card I pay that day and get the goods that day - they don't wait 24 hours to give me them despite their merchant services taking 2 or 3 days to process the payment. Also why don't they make it abundantly clear that BACS is the only way they will receive funds the same day? i didn't set up a dd as it was a one off use of the card and i knew i would pay it off in one go. Yes i will agree it was the best plan to leave until the day it was due but if they had made it clearer i would just have sent it by BACS
    Smile though your bank is breaking:)
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,816
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Abbey1991 wrote: »
    Just ask them nicely and they'll probably refund it all

I did this with NatWest and they refunded me but said this was a one-off and would not do it a second time. It was a simple oversight but I haven't missed a payment since.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They can't make it much clearer than the printed bit on all statements showing the lead times for the various payment methods.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,375
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    54druids wrote: »
    so why if they state that the payment has been submitted do they not show it as received until the next day? everything else I pay with a debit card I pay that day and get the goods that day - they don't wait 24 hours to give me them despite their merchant services taking 2 or 3 days to process the payment. Also why don't they make it abundantly clear that BACS is the only way they will receive funds the same day? i didn't set up a dd as it was a one off use of the card and i knew i would pay it off in one go. Yes i will agree it was the best plan to leave until the day it was due but if they had made it clearer i would just have sent it by BACS
    There's a difference between the money physically reaching their holding account and it being allocated from there to your credit card account.

And if what you're looking at makes reference to BACS then it may be the wrong document altogether since as a personal customer you can't pay by BACS! Perhaps you meant Faster Payments?

If you post up a link to, or copy/paste of, the payment Ts & Cs we can comment on what's said and how it's presented?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    With FP you are sending the payment to them, with a debit card they are effectively collecting it from you.

They have chosen to only consider it paid when they actually get the funds - hardly unreasonable.
  • Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    The most important thing here is whether they record it as a late payment. I believe that they won't have because it was almost on time.

As above, set up a direct debit for the minimum. Also make sure they have your mobile number as they might text you to remind you if you are late again.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,076
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Abbey1991 wrote: »
    The most important thing here is whether they record it as a late payment. I believe that they won't have because it was almost on time.

As above, set up a direct debit for the minimum. Also make sure they have your mobile number as they might text you to remind you if you are late again.

Late is late.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport