IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help Smart Parking £40 charge in Asda

Hi,

I have 3 young children and mistakenly parked in a disabled at my local Asda instead of the parent and child, I was literally in and out in 30 mins but to my horror got a £40 ticket if paid in 14 days from a very smarmy smart parking attendent. Do I need to pay this and does anyone know what my rights are if I decide not to pay it? I am really dissapointed that these people have the right in a supermarket to issue these tickets - your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I imagine there's no real obligation to pay the ticket but you may have further hassles if you use the car park regularly. Who issued the ticket?

I'd be more careful where you park in future or complain to Asda if the spacing isn't clearly enough marked.
  • Jameskh wrote: »
    Hi,

I have 3 young children and mistakenly parked in a disabled at my local Asda instead of the parent and child, I was literally in and out in 30 mins but to my horror got a £40 ticket if paid in 14 days from a very smarmy smart parking attendent. Do I need to pay this and does anyone know what my rights are if I decide not to pay it? I am really dissapointed that these people have the right in a supermarket to issue these tickets - your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ignore the invoice (and the no doubt subsequent letters advising potential court action) - as that is what it is - they dress them up to look like an official parking ticket, however it is not.

A quick search on here will confirm.

HTH

s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    ...and then it hits me
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • A company called Smart Parking (also known as Town and City Parking)issued the ticket, thanks for your view does anyone have an official view?
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Jameskh wrote: »
    A company called Smart Parking (also known as Town and City Parking)issued the ticket, thanks for your view does anyone have an official view?

Yes, just ignore them. Smart Parking don't do court and Asda wouldn't like the publicity. You'll get a few snotty letters but then they'll give up.
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Do any of the signs in the car park mention - specifically - Smart Parking Ltd?

If not then they haven't formed a contract with you and you haven't breached anything.

I think you may find that they say Town and City Parking with the 'Ltd' crossed out but this isn't good enough. The signs need to make you aware of who the other party is, and the other party is 'Smart Parking Ltd'.

Mind you, that's before we get to the actual losses part, which they will also fall down on anyway.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    A company called Smart Parking (also known as Town and City Parking)issued the ticket, thanks for your view does anyone have an official view?

I'm sorry but you won't get an unbiased official response from the parking industry on here, they or the smarmy bpa do not officially post on here, probably because of the difficulty in defending their outrageous and often illegal charges.

You have 3 options

1) pay them
    2) appeal and go through popla when they turn you down
    3) ignore them

I don't recommend the first one at all, the third one is easiest as you are just ignoring preprinted templated letters with your name address added to them. Or you can with help from us and pepipoo.com appeal.

It's up to you
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • NowRetired
    NowRetired Posts: 366 Forumite
    You also have a 4th option go into Asda and complain to the manager or write/email Asda house in Leeds.
    Getting forgetful, if you think I've asked this before I probably have. :rotfl:
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    NowRetired wrote: »
    You also have a 4th option go into Asda and complain to the manager or write/email Asda house in Leeds.

That goes without saying to be honest, and should be done on every occasion, how else would things change without thousands of complaints
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And make sure any 'appeal' to Asda is an instruction, not a meek request.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

Thanks.

To your horror - LOL! We laugh at these pieces of rubbish and I am just a Mum of 4 kids myself, have collected two so far and ignored them happily.

Loads of results <<< {CLICKY} on t'internet about Smart Parking aka TCP and their fake 'PCNs'.

And this whole parking forum is 99% about fake PCNS - read any threads here. Do I take it that you first of all posted this elsewhere in discussion or something, seeing as no regulars on this board posted at first?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure