Loft access/usability

I've spotted an advert in our free local paper, for a firm offering to fit a loft ladder, 100 square feet of loft flooring and a loft light for £285.

We'll need to get them to enlarge the existing hole (we've already had one plumber having to call back later with his wiry young apprentice, because he couldn't fit up there :rotfl: ) but that sounds pretty good to me - unless anyone knows better...

The firm themselves are called 'Loft Conversions UK Limited' and a quick Google tells me they Companies House has them registered in Liverpool (we are in Manchester). Feel free to shout with any specific experience, good or bad.

Comments

• newfunk
    newfunk Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    All I can say is wow, that sounds excellent.....and they are supplying the materials?

id bite there arm off for that!! They should do it in a day
    In this trusted place U can erase
    Every tear that ever rolled down your weary face
    All the time U waste in that paper chase
    Is time better spent in these arms of mine
  • Considering a decent timber loft ladder complete with hatch = £150 , 7 sheets chipboard flooring = £42 and light fittings with cable = £20 . At an approximate estimate of £212 for materials this seems like a ridiculously cheap quote .

Not sure if this means you should grabbit quick or be very wary though !
    I`m now officially too old to die young
  • GreenB_2
    GreenB_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Probably they will use a cheap metal loft ladder for less than £50. so they would be on for about £175 ish for labour - ok if its a cash in hand job ;-)
  • IM
    IM Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just called to arrange for the work to be done. Certainly sounded very professional on the phone.

Charging an extra £95 to enlarge the opening and fit a new hatch.

I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had my loft insutated, boarded & hatch enlarged last year at a cost of £640. £140 of that was to enlarge opening & fit new hatch. I'd had a decent ladder installed some months before at a cost of £195, which did include an insulated loft hatch at £25, as I hadn't thought of having the opening enlarged at that time.

I do have a large loft & it was a qualified carpenter I used. Because I have downlighters in all the rooms there was the extra caution of having to ensure there were adequate air holes in the loft boards to stop the heat building up underneath. Aother quote I'd had for the work was a bit less then I paid, but not a great deal, so I went for the guy who'd done work for me before & I knew I could trust not to bring the ceilings down when enlarging the hatch !

I live in London so getting work done is quite costly here.

Hope yours does turn out to truly be a bargain.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • cattie wrote:
    I had my loft insutated, boarded & hatch enlarged last year at a cost of £640. £140 of that was to enlarge opening & fit new hatch. I'd had a decent ladder installed some months before at a cost of £195, which did include an insulated loft hatch at £25, as I hadn't thought of having the opening enlarged at that time.

I don't suppose you could send me details of the carpenter you used? It sounds like a very reasonable price...
  • owey
    owey Posts: 832 Forumite
    IM wrote:
    I've spotted an advert in our free local paper, for a firm offering to fit a loft ladder, 100 square feet of loft flooring and a loft light for £285.

We had are loft converted and what you need to remember is that the floor of the loft in most houses is not strong enough for you to be walking around alot. If you are just using it for storage you will be OK, but if you decide later you want to use it as a room you might find you need a new floor above your ceiling?. Also I think some of these companies just want to get in your house with a cheap quote and by the time the works done you've paid £4000.
    ours cost £7500 for a new roof and insulated lining Velux window new raised floor so you are not standing on the ceiling cuboards in the eves, all plastered.Then I paid about £1000 for a proper fitted staircase as it was used for a bedroom.
  • Hi I M have you had your loft done yet, just wondering as I have had the leaflet you had sent through too. Let us know if it is a bargain
    became debt free December 06
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport