Re iPad photo storage

Options
Hi Guys, need a bit of advice please.
My free 5 gun free storage is full in I cloud, 5 .23gb.
Keeps telling me.
Got 14.2 on my 16 gb iPad left.
I have deleted photos and videos I don’t want off iPad, but the amount hasn’t changed in I cloud.
Does the storage in I cloud still retain these, or can they be deleted from there, freeing more space in cloud.
Don’t want spend money to keep photos I don’t want ?
Does optimise storage alter the free space in the cloud ?
Any way of freeing free space in I cloud ?
Cheers:beer:

Comments

• datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    datostar wrote: »

Indeed.

OP, most cloud storage services allow you to undelete files for a period of time so obviously they are being retained for long enough to allow that. So it depends on whether they are counting deleted files as part of your allowance whilst they can still be restored.

You mention photo storage? Are you storing unnecessarily high resolution files for your needs? Many people are and unless you are likely to want to print them out a maximum size or blow up a small section of the image this is a waste.

Google Photos (which is available for iPad) allows storage of a large number of "high quality" images (compressed by an unspecified amount but fine for the vast majority of purposes) free of charge. Once these are uploaded to Google you can delete the original file from the iPad, just retaining a thumbnail, then the big file is only downloaded again if and when it is needed.

Amazon Prime (if you happen to be a subscriber) allows unlimited full resolution photo storage for non commercial use.

Or, you just pay Apple .79p per month to double your iCloud for less than the price of a cup of coffee out every three months! Not "money saving" but saves a lot of hassle!
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks datostar.
    Seems I have got something wrong.I keep getting ‘ storage full’ popping up, assumed it was my 5gb free!
    But, checking my I-cloud, I have only used 1.9gb of my free space!
    As I have used 14.2 of the 16gb on my iPad, I cannot fathom out what is full ?
    Not familiar with ipad, as you can tell.
    I delete everything I don’t need from my iPad regularly, emails, photos, do not have many apps, just the bare essentials.
    Use it to bank and surf only.
    Photo ‘s is the main thing of grandson.
    What am I not understanding ?:rotfl:
  • Undervalued
    Options
    Most Apps on Apple devices keep getting larger as there is no easy way of deleting the data they accumulate!

If you look in Settings > General > Storage you will see the amount of space each App is using and you will also see the size of the App itself. Take an online newspaper like the Guardian or Daily Mail for instance. It may well be using two or three time the size of the App. If you delete it, then reinstall from the App store, it will revert to the original size then gradually start to grow again as you use it and it accumulates data.

Mail is particularly bad in this respect. However you need to be sure that the mail is still on the server before deleting the App and reinstalling. Get help from somebody technical with this.

Have you cleared browsing history in Safari? That can be far bigger than you would imagine!
  • joe134
    Options
    Thanks, as I said, I don’t keep many apps, of the 14.2gb of space on my device, 5.23 is photos, even after deleting loads, the space occupied still seems the same ?
    I have express paper app, but delete it often.
    Is the I cloud just a back up, are all the 5 .23gb photos in storage on my device , or in the cloud ?
    There aren’t that many left to occupy so much space as I can see, after deleting most of them ?
  • Undervalued
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Thanks, as I said, I don’t keep many apps, of the 14.2gb of space on my device, 5.23 is photos, even after deleting loads, the space occupied still seems the same ?
    I have express paper app, but delete it often.
    Is the I cloud just a back up, are all the 5 .23gb photos in storage on my device , or in the cloud ?
    There aren’t that many left to occupy so much space as I can see, after deleting most of them ?

Most likely on the device too. However I don't use the Apple Photos app so I can't tell you for certain. There is probably an option similar to that I described for Google Photos where only a thumbnail remains on the device and the image is fetched from the cloud when required. However check carefully with somebody who knows so that you don't accidentally delete from both!

How is your iPad backed up? If that is to iCloud that too will use space.

Frankly I'd give them 79p a month and save the hassle! You only get charged if you actually use the extra space so if you later reduce what you are storing below 5GB you won't pay anything.
  • joe134
    Options
    Backed up to cloud I presume.
    Nowt really on it to worry about backing up .
    If photos go, they go.
    Don’t have a pc now.
    Where,s the space the 79p gives you, on device, or cloud ?
    If I have 3 gb go of free I cloud left and 2 gb of device space left, what’s full ?
    Why would I need to purchase more for at present, that’s what’s confusing me ?
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP, if you go to https://www.icloud.com and log in with your Apple ID and password you'll be able to see exactly what's in there. Especially check the 'Files' area. All kinds of things can end up in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure