How much should I pay for a VPN

Options
We were given as a present at Christmas an Amazon Fire Stick. I am told it would be good to download onto it the Kodi app/Addon. I understand to get the full benefit it is advisable to have a VPN. We know little about them. What is good value and how much should we expect to pay. Which is thre best with only having to pay a small annual subscription.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NordVPN is a good one but not dirt cheap. You'll find the dirt cheap ones don't work so well with streaming video.

The full benefit is being able to do things like appear to Netflix from the USA instead of the UK so you get access to their larger library but you'll probably find a lot of the extra stuff you don't watch.
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Express VPN and find them very good ( £80 year )
  • Butch_Dingle
    Options
    MarkRice wrote: »
    We were given as a present at Christmas an Amazon Fire Stick. I am told it would be good to download onto it the Kodi app/Addon. I understand to get the full benefit it is advisable to have a VPN. .

I'm confused as to why you the think you need a VPN for using legitimate content on Kodi? I mean Kodi itself isn't illegal.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MarkRice wrote: »
    We were given as a present at Christmas an Amazon Fire Stick. I am told it would be good to download onto it the Kodi app/Addon. I understand to get the full benefit it is advisable to have a VPN. We know little about them. What is good value and how much should we expect to pay. Which is thre best with only having to pay a small annual subscription.

Kodi is old hat now, there are much better ways of utilising your firestick. Troy @ troypoint tells you everything you need to know inc VPN's - https://troypoint.com/what-is-firestick/
  • DocQuincy
    DocQuincy Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NordVPN is a good one but not dirt cheap.

I think Nord is very good value if you sign up for three years but way too expensive for short periods. Their speeds are good and they have a lot of servers. I recently paid about £110 for three years.

Nord are also one of the ones it's reasonably safe to say don't log you. They're based in Panama and were recently audited by PWC and found to live up to their privacy claims. Privacy and security are the two main reasons I'd use a VPN, Netflix is just a bonus. :)
  • DocQuincy
    Options
    To answer the OP more directly I would rather pay a bit more and have a private, secure, fast reliable service. Even if you go for something quality I'd say anything more than £5 a month is probably too much.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you the think you need a VPN for using legitimate content on Kodi? I mean Kodi itself isn't illegal.
    Perhaps he wants to view BBC in another country?
    Perhaps he dos not want his isp to track his every click?
    Perhaps he values his privacy?
    Perhaps he wants to bypass restrictive coffee shop, pub, hotel and work network filtering, so he can watch tv or Netflix?
    Perhaps his isp traffic manages live streams from other media providers, since the isp would prefer he upgrades his current service to include films?

To find one that is privacy orientated, look here: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-keep-anonymous-2018/

If you are too lazy to go to google and search for VPN DISCOUNT or VPN COUPON or VPN OFFFERS and find a deal for one of the above listed anonymous companies, you can always look here https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-discount-coupon-offer-torguard-nordvpn-expressvpn-pia/
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DocQuincy wrote: »
    I think Nord is very good value if you sign up for three years but way too expensive for short periods. Their speeds are good and they have a lot of servers. I recently paid about £110 for three years.

There is a currently an offer on their website of $2.99 a month over 3 years which works at at about £85.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do I "run" the VPN? Pretend I'm thick....
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • DocQuincy
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    There is a currently an offer on their website of $2.99 a month over 3 years which works at at about £85.

I'm guessing as I did the conversion in my head but the prices shown are ex. 20% VAT.

In $ it is going to be (2.99 * 36) * 1.2 = $129.17 for three years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure