Outside water tap stopped working

honeypop
honeypop Posts: 1,501 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I moved into my first house in December, it has an outdoor tap on the other side of the wall where the kitchen sink is. I have used the tap since moving in and the last time I can remember using it was back in February time. Since my water butt is now empty due to lack of rain recently, I need to use the tap to fill up my watering can but for some reason no water is coming out of it now!!

I have no idea why this is, I know it worked before because I remember using it. The tap turns like normal but nothing comes out.

I am in no way DIY-minded nor are my family, who mostly say "it's obviously been switched off somewhere then", so I can't find out what's happened and get the water back on. Obviously I have water to the rest of the house, I would have noticed if that stopped!

I know for a fact that I have not touched anything that might have cut the water off to this tap. On the inside of the wall where the tap is, a pipe comes in (I can see it in the cupboard under the sink) then goes off to the right (through the cupboard wall) to behind the washing machine. The washing machine was installed the day I moved in and never been moved since so if theres something behind there to do with the tap going off, I couldn't have got to it without dragging the washing machine out which I have not done.

Does anyone have any ideas what's happened here and how I can get the tap to work again? I'd rather not call someone out to have a look at it as no doubt this will cost a fortune just for them to find it was something simple and most likely obvious to someone else.

Please help, I have to carry a heavy watering can through the house with a weak back which I cannot do very often, my plants and new grass may die if I can't water them from closer to the garden!

Comments

• nealnomoney
    nealnomoney Posts: 161 Forumite
    is there any blue or red plastic knobs attached to any of the pipes under the sink?
  • honeypop
    Not that I could see, the pipes just go off behind the washing machine with nothing on them. I think there was one or both behind the washing machine when it went in (but not been touched since).
  • nealnomoney
    it think those may be your problem, pull the machine out and turn them, trial and error i suppose.
  • MickMack
    MickMack Posts: 132 Forumite
    If your sure you haven't touched anything since the tap last was working then it is unlikely to be any of these connections.
    Those knobs are for cutting off the water to the washing machine appliance so that it can be replaced or isolated and if your able to do your washing then thats not the problem.

I would guess that if you havent used the tap in a while then the washer has become welded (corrosion) to the seat that makes the seal to stop the water coming out.

Try turning the tap on full, then get something metal like a spanner or something with a bit of weight and tap the side of the TAP, firmly but not too hard, try this a few times and see if that does the job. I would guess you need a new washer at least and maybe a new tap (or at least to have it reseated) so you might need to get a plumber or someone with some DIY knowhow to do it.
  • nealnomoney
    Nope hes wrong
  • MickMack
    MickMack Posts: 132 Forumite
    This link has a nice illustration of how a tap works (in most cases)

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-repair-a-faucet1.htm

It could be that althought your able to turn the handle (see the diagram) the stem isn't actually turning inside then tap.
  • honeypop
    Thanks, I will check these suggestions out when I get home from work and see if I can make water come out again!
  • I shall watch this thread with interest, the tap gremlin has been to my outdoor tap too!

There was some hosepipe fixed with a jubilee clip onto the tap which I thought may have become blocked with small snails, but I've removed that and its no different....:confused:
  • savingsara_2
    savingsara_2 Posts: 266 Forumite
    My OH had a look at the outside tap today, and it now works! :beer:

The reason it wasn't working was because the brass (?) Hozelok attachment attached to the tap had collapsed inside and so wasn't letting water through. (It must have been something my ex put on there seven+ years ago, I hadn't realised it wasn't part of the tap as it was the same colour :o )

Is there any chance there might be a similar fitment on yours?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure