Condensing boiler

Our boiler is over 20 years old and starting to act it's age.
As a place to start we had British gas in for a quote. We have been quoted for a new condensing boiler in either roof or bathroom (current one is in the kitchen), and all new radiators ( we were advised they will all need replacing as they are also old and the new system will be under more pressure).

The house is an old stone terrace, not tiny but not huge,- two bedrooms plus attic conversion - five radiators. We included one more in the quote, to be added to the bathroom. We would only want external radiator pipes - no digging concrete, and upstairs is easy as all floor boards which raise easily for access.

We have been quoted 4600 for 2 to 3 days worked irrespective of final location of boiler - out of our two choices.
Without the radiators we were advised 3600.

These seems extreme to us. Can anyone advise if this is as outrageous as it sounds. We always intended to get a few quotes but not if they are all like this. If this is over the odds can anyone recommend a good reliable plumbing company in the stockport/buxton area.....? Many thanks.

Comments

• JasonW_2
    JasonW_2 Posts: 705 Forumite
    British Gas are the most expensive out there. Any in my opinion not worth the extra cost. All work from any installer should be guaranteed. I invited them to quote for me recently and after taking the day off work and being an hour late, the *sweary* that came out was the most arrogant obnoxious !!!!!! Ive ever met. He said 'it'll be £3.5k minimum before I even look around. He said I would need £500 of electrical work again without asking me where I wanted the boiler, what type, what kind of control system. I ejected him before he even got the chance to sit down. I did not understand his attitude or lack of interest.

D
  • catbert_2
    catbert_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    We had the same problem, first guy didn't turn up at all, next one turned up early which is just as annoying and it seemed amazing to me that the price was fixed regardless of what we really wanted - that never sounds right.
    We went there first as a sort of benchmark and as a place to start. No nearer to actaully finding a good plumber unfortunately! Big thumbs down to British gas then.
  • neilhew
    neilhew Posts: 11 Forumite
    British Gas always charge far too much for this type of work.
    I deal with estimates for a Worcester HE boiler 5-6 radiators, at around £2600 to £2800, plus any removal of old stuff.
    Never have pipes buried, they will leak, and even if they do not leak, when you sell the house, a surveyor will make comment.
    Also watch how much timber is cut out of the joists upstairs, especially if less than 4" depth.
    Also, it is a good idea to replace all the old pipework etc.
    A good company will work out the exact size of radiators required.
    If your loft is insulated, check for ventilation.
    As per last night, I suggest your local Energy Efficiency Centre; details from
    https://www.est.org.uk
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    I had a condensing boiler put in for £1410 (£1200 + VAT). It took the plumber 2 days and then he popped back one evening just to check everything was running smoothly. He was with us about and hour or so on that evening. Charging this amount appears to be about normal round here. To have new radiators put in (9 in total) was going to be a further £900. I was very pleased with the standard of the work, speed etc etc for the boiler. Just for comparrison, we've got a 4-bed semi. Quite large 'old' design house and the boiler we had taken out was just over 30 years old. Even allowing for workmen to charge more ''down south'' (assuming you are 'down south'), British Gas are fleecing you. Have you see all their adverts about how hard it is to get a plumber and all the mailings about plumbers not doing 24 hours call out - load of rubbish!! It's scare tactics to get you to buy their services and their insurance.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    neilhew wrote:
    British Gas always charge far too much for this type of work.
    I deal with estimates for a Worcester HE boiler 5-6 radiators, at around £2600 to £2800, plus any removal of old stuff.
    Never have pipes buried, they will leak, and even if they do not leak, when you sell the house, a surveyor will make comment.
    Also watch how much timber is cut out of the joists upstairs, especially if less than 4" depth.
    Also, it is a good idea to replace all the old pipework etc.
    A good company will work out the exact size of radiators required.
    If your loft is insulated, check for ventilation.
    As per last night, I suggest your local Energy Efficiency Centre; details from
    https://www.est.org.uk

Sounds like EXCELLENT advice. This is just the sort of thing our plumber friend advised us.
  • catbert_2
    catbert_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks Zziggi, sounds like you got a great deal, but I'm in the northwest - I've just posted a general request for recommendations so if you are local to Stockport who is your Plumber !

And I agree great advice from Neilhew - if we could only find the plumber to do it!

At least now I know what price is reasonble. Onwards and upwards...
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you tried PM'ing plumb1? I am fairly certain that he is based in the Cheshire area.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure