PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Simple ways to cook chicken and fish

2»

Comments

• I make this a lot. Quick easy and uses all store cupboard ingredients

http://www.slimmingworld.ie/recipes/sticky-chicken.aspx
  • Also an airfryer might help you? Once you use it once you'll trust how long it takes to cook something and then you'll be able to set the timer and know it's cooked. I put salmon darnes in mine for 12 minutes for example and they're always perfect and chicken fillets for 20 minutes
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Simplified version of Chicken Chasseur
    Buy one of those Chicken Chasseur sachets made by Schwartz or Colmans. Put a layer of chopped onions (raw) in the base of your slow cooker (I use frozen diced onion), add four raw chicken breasts. Add about six ounces of sliced mushrooms, mix together 250 ml of cold water with a tablespoonful of tomato puree plus the contents of the sachet and add to your slow cooker. I run my slow cooker on the low setting for about six hours but you may wish to vary this according to what type of slow cooker you own.
    Eat one portion and freeze the three other portions.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I recently made a spaghetti bolognese with chicken breast fillets instead of mince, padded out with diced peppers. It was surprisingly nice and didn't take too long to prepare (I also work full time, have a long commute and live alone so know the feeling).

There's all sorts of cooking sauces (curries, tomato, chinese and various other things) for around the 65p to 85p mark in the supermarkets. Not as cheap or healthy as making from scratch, but useful for a quick tasty meal in the evenings that's healthier than a takeaway. Just cut up some chicken and throw them into the sauce, heat up then simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 9:10PM
    With chicken, try stir fry or fajitas. The chicken is cut into strips so cooks more quickly and is easy to check, and both are really quick and easy meals.

Spanish chicken is easy in the slow cooker and uses store cupboard ingredients.
    http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/spanish_chicken_with_chick_peas.html
    You can chuck in things like chorizo or carrots if you want to make it more interesting and it really is throw it all in and let it cook. I do mine with rice but you could put potatoes in as well if you want it ready to eat when you get home. And, as always, you can do extra and freeze it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for all your replies. I will take these ideas on board. Sometimes I just find buying ready cooked chicken or breaded fish and chicken easier but are they healthy does anyone know or is it best to buy fresh?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. I will take these ideas on board. Sometimes I just find buying ready cooked chicken or breaded fish and chicken easier but are they healthy does anyone know or is it best to buy fresh?

If it's just fish or chicken with nothing added then it's probably as healthy as buying fresh. It's probably also more time saving to have something ready in the freezer and often more mse:money: too as if you keep popping into shops to buy fresh stuff there can be the temptation to buy other things or pay inflated prices in small local shops.

When you start introducing breadcrumbs or worse still batter then the fish becomes less healthy. It's the same with chicken whether it's breaded or battered goujons or a ready meal with loads of cheese on top then it's less healthy than just baked plain fish.

It's not that you should never eat cheese or breadcrumbs or whatever but it's that sort of thing that you need to control with healthy eating IMO.
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    maman wrote: »
    If it's just fish or chicken with nothing added then it's probably as healthy as buying fresh. It's probably also more time saving to have something ready in the freezer and often more mse:money: too as if you keep popping into shops to buy fresh stuff there can be the temptation to buy other things or pay inflated prices in small local shops.

When you start introducing breadcrumbs or worse still batter then the fish becomes less healthy. It's the same with chicken whether it's breaded or battered goujons or a ready meal with loads of cheese on top then it's less healthy than just baked plain fish.

It's not that you should never eat cheese or breadcrumbs or whatever but it's that sort of thing that you need to control with healthy eating IMO.

Yes I do mean breaded fish and chicken or ready cooked chicken but moreso breaded. I do put fresh chicken thighs in the freezer but then they need defrosting and I sometimes forget.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Yes I do mean breaded fish and chicken or ready cooked chicken but moreso breaded. I do put fresh chicken thighs in the freezer but then they need defrosting and I sometimes forget.

Breadcrumbs aren't too unhealthy provided you have plenty of vegetables or salad with your meal. You can also buy frozen fish that doesn't have breadcrumbs like some of the BirdsEye Inspirations in tasty sauces.

Ready cooked chicken is fine but try not to eat any skin because that's where the extra fat is.

You can buy plain fish that can be microwaved/oven cooked straight from frozen.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi all,

I find the most economical way of buying chicken is to buy a whole chicken and roast. I can even pick up a chicken in a bag which requires zero prep for less than a fiver. Once cooked i strip it right down and the amount of chicken you get is great, from this you could do roast dinners, lunches, stir fries, add in sauces, risotto you name it, if you were really good use the bones for stock but im not into that carry on. :rotfl:
    Im not into fish, i just try and have tuna from a tin once a week, and i only buy it when it is on offer, id like to like it but no :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure