Class 2 NI Voluntary contributions, is it worth it?

Options
Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I am just looking for opinions on Class 2 NI payments.

My scenario is that I am employed full time and fully pay my NI contributions via that employment. As an aside I a manage a rental property for a family member which affords me a small income and complete the odd bit of housing maintenance throughout the year for colleagues/friends/family.

My extra income is around £1200 a year which I declare via self-assessment.

My question is should I voluntarily pay Class 2 NI contributions on this extra income and does it affect my state pension positively or negatively if I do or don't pay? (I'm only 30 so won't be retiring for a lot of years yet! I also pay into a employer based pension scheme from my full time employment.)

Cheers

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends how much you earn from being employed - doesn't sound as if you are eligible to pay voluntary contributions (in which case you don't need to).

Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There is no point in paying twice.

If you can pay only class 2 they are fantastic value, but they are being abolished next year.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Peck06 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I am just looking for opinions on Class 2 NI payments.

My scenario is that I am employed full time and fully pay my NI contributions via that employment. As an aside I a manage a rental property for a family member which affords me a small income and complete the odd bit of housing maintenance throughout the year for colleagues/friends/family.

My extra income is around £1200 a year which I declare via self-assessment.

My question is should I voluntarily pay Class 2 NI contributions on this extra income and does it affect my state pension positively or negatively if I do or don't pay? (I'm only 30 so won't be retiring for a lot of years yet! I also pay into a employer based pension scheme from my full time employment.)

Cheers

If you paying enough NI contributions through your employment then you should already have a full qualifying year/s for the state pension, say for the tax year April 2017 to April 2018.

Paying Class 2 NI contributions on top of that will be a complete waste and get you nothing extra.
    What made you think of that, it's not a pot of money that you are building up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure