What a fudgewimple

Hi, I'm relatively new here. I've lurked for a few months as I summed up the courage to post the below. I actually annotated the below and then had an essay which I didn't think would encourage people to read or help. Essentially I got my family into a huge amount of debt and now I need to get us out of it. I have a lease car which isn't included in below as its through work and is returned Feb 2020 and then my income would go up by another £300. Although at that point I would need to get a new (old) car.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 1
Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1500
Partners monthly income after tax....... 1250
Benefits................................ 80
Other income............................ 0
Total monthly income.................... 2830

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 600
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 110
Electricity............................. 54.5
Gas..................................... 54.5
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 35
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 23
TV Licence.............................. 13
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 16.23
Internet Services....................... 28
Groceries etc. ......................... 200
Clothing................................ 20
Petrol/diesel........................... 200
Road tax................................ 11
Car Insurance........................... 30
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 25
Car parking............................. 0
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 302
Other child related expenses............ 0
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 30.4
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 59
Buildings insurance..................... 0
Contents insurance...................... 9
Life assurance ......................... 0
Other insurance......................... 0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 15
Haircuts................................ 15
Entertainment........................... 20
Holiday................................. 0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
Husband and Son Pocket Money............ 60
Pet Food................................ 60
Lottery................................. 10
Cleaner (cancelling this)............... 70
Pension................................. 10
Dog Walker.............................. 325
Total monthly expenses.................. 2405.63

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
House value (Gross)..................... 0
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 2500
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 2500

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
Amex...........................8870.9....300.......20
Overdraft......................500.......0.........0
TESCO..........................497.03....25........0
PayPal Credit..................2646.73...50........20
TSB............................1208.71...14........0
DMP (Husbands).................9296.46...105.......0
Family Loan....................14430.....180.......0
HSBC...........................5902.86...160.......0
Loan...........................3430.27...112.8.....13
Halifax........................2337.94...28........0
BarclayCard 2..................1857.2....60........20
BarclayCard 1..................1093......30........0
Total unsecured debts..........52071.1...1064.8....-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,830
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,405.63
Available for debt repayments........... 424.37
Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 1,064.8
Amount short for making debt repayments. -640.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 2,500
Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
Total Unsecured debt.................... -52,071.1
Net Assets.............................. -49,571.1
Debt: £52,071.1:eek:
I'm totally going to pay this off within 5 years, you just watch me.

Comments

• Brookside88
    Brookside88 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome! and happy shiny new diary.

Firstly - your dog is costing you more than your child by the look of it. Scrapping the dog walker and the cleaner will save you almost £400 straight off the bat. Scrap the lottery too, you're not going to win (sorry) and just a query about the pocket money. Only one child in the house of nursery age? Does he need pocket money?

Other than that your expenses look pretty lean.

52k is a big number but chip away at it and you'll get there.

Good luck, I've subscribed
  • mitch2509
    mitch2509 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

The main areas I can see are obviously your cleaner but also your pets £325 a month for dog walking is a lot could you not reduce this down some way, your pet insurance is also high (obviously I don't know how many dogs you have). Could maybe your and your OH take it in turns to pop home at lunch and let them out. Your gas and electric is quite high as presumably your out most of the day. Have you tried to claim tax credits with your childcare being so high or is your LO old enough to get the free 30 hours.

Hope I'm not being blunt
  • Brookside88
    oh and fudgewimple is the best word i've heard this week!
  • mitch2509
    mitch2509 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also I've just noticed your husband is in a DMP so I don't think your solely responsible for these debts.
  • Gladioli
    Gladioli Posts: 47 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Have you considered contacting one of the free debt management companies such as step change, as you do not own a home is there any reason why you could not got through a formal remedy such as bankruptcy?

However the most important thing to address, is how you got to this place in the first instance? until you get to the bottom of that, you may not be able to get out of debt as old habits may creep in.
  • laveugle
    laveugle Posts: 35 Forumite
    Replying in line (hope this works lol)
    Welcome! and happy shiny new diary.

Firstly - your dog is costing you more than your child by the look of it. Scrapping the dog walker and the cleaner will save you almost £400 straight off the bat. Scrap the lottery too, you're not going to win (sorry) and just a query about the pocket money. Only one child in the house of nursery age? Does he need pocket money?Our dogs are only a year old and would really struggle from 8am to 6pm without a wee. My OH is unable to go home to let them out as he works on a secure site site and its difficult to leave etc at lunch. I can't guarantee I would get home to let them out because sometimes I have to travel to London and lunch time seems to be when I end up on conference calls. We originally had planned for a dog walker three times a week but unfortunately its not worked out that way. I don't even have anyone who could let them out. But yes £325 on dog walking is annoying. I am scrapping the lottery and the cleaner (Already given notice) so that's £570 left to find. DS is school age, he gets £10 a month pocket money but it also pays for school trips. The other £50 is for my husband because he honestly turns into a beast if he doesn't have any money at all. And I don't blame him, I have spent several years spending 50k on credit cards

Other than that your expenses look pretty lean.

52k is a big number but chip away at it and you'll get there.

Good luck, I've subscribed
    mitch2509 wrote: »
    Hi

The main areas I can see are obviously your cleaner but also your pets £325 a month for dog walking is a lot could you not reduce this down some way,I honestly don't know how to, the dogs will 100% go for a widdle upstairs if they're left for 10 hours. argh! your pet insurance is also high (obviously I don't know how many dogs you have). two dogs but its also their healthcare plans which covers worming and fleaing, as well as 4 appointments per year and a discount when we eventually get round to spaying. I worked it out and it would cost me more to buy Bravecto etc than pay for the planCould maybe your and your OH take it in turns to pop home at lunch and let them out. we'd really really struggle to do this. OH can't and I'm often working through lunchYour gas and electric is quite high as presumably your out most of the day. this is high because I was extremely naughty and had the heating on all winter with the back door open. It will go down as I won't do this again. Have you tried to claim tax credits with your childcare being so high or is your LO old enough to get the free 30 hours.DS is 7 so we don't get anything. Our income is too high to be eligible for any tax credits. My income is hampered by my car lease so looks a lot lower than it is. Unfortunately can't get out of that shiny blue mistake until Feb 2020

Hope I'm not being blunt blunt is good!

oh and fudgewimple is the best word i've heard this week!
    I'm also a fan of "ballywell" haha
    mitch2509 wrote: »
    Also I've just noticed your husband is in a DMP so I don't think your solely responsible for these debts.
    3k of it is probably his. He's also partially responsible for the TV, takeaways the presents etc but not all the crud I bought. That's on me
    Gladioli wrote: »
    Have you considered contacting one of the free debt management companies such as step change, as you do not own a home is there any reason why you could not got through a formal remedy such as bankruptcy?

However the most important thing to address, is how you got to this place in the first instance? until you get to the bottom of that, you may not be able to get out of debt as old habits may creep in.
    Bankruptcy would be an issue due to the fact that my area of work (ie finance and law) require no bankrutpcies. My tenancy agreement also states that we can't have a bankruptcy and my house is dirt cheap for my area, I'd be paying £800+ if I had to move.

I got into this mess because I've been depressed for the last 15 years, I didn't actually realise this. I'm a lot better since attending counselling, additionally I had a gastric sleeve in may (NHS) and my mood has improved dramatically over the last 6 weeks probably due to lack of sugar. I'm able to get out and do things so I'm not focused on what I don't have and what I need to be a better person. Getting a new "thing" gives me that temporary happiness that I have been lacking. It's all linked to insecurity, self -esteem etc etc. It's obviously not instantly fixed BUT I am feeling so much better already. I've had counselling since January, I go bi weekly and it's useful.
  • laveugle
    I feel like I'm just making excuses especially with the dog thing
  • Can I ask why you bought the dogs knowing you couldn't look after them during the daytime?

I am sorry but I can't just understand why anyone would do this.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Brookside88
    Is the 302 childcare for a child minder or after school clubs etc? It may be worth seeing if your employer does childcare vouchers as I think these can be used for wraparound care. Based on your income which is similar to mine you should be able to get the full 243 a month which will only reduce your salary by around 160 a month
  • laveugle
    Can I ask why you bought the dogs knowing you couldn't look after them during the daytime?

I am sorry but I can't just understand why anyone would do this.

Sorry, that's an assumption that's just incorrect. At the time, we had waited two years to get dogs to ensure it was something we could definitely do etc.

My husband was working part time nights and had been for the last 5 years, there was no intention of changing. So we only needed a dog walker on a Monday, who took them out whilst husband was sleeping.

Then this year (so a year later) he decided he couldn't do it anymore. Whereas before he didn't want to change from what he was doing so as far as we were both concerned they fitted into our lifestyle. And they still do, we go for walks morning, night weekends we go exploring. It's just the current situation is awkward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure