PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tips on vetting new tenants

Options

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I am inclined to agree with this but realise this is not a luxury every prospective tenant has. Those on low incomes/who lack guarantors/large deposits and/or in areas of high demand for rental properties may have to resort to complying with these and even more intrusive requirements in order to secure a roof over their heads.

Completely agree, but those are the exact tenants the OP is trying to weed out. Where using the intrusive methods proposed by deannatrois will have the exact opposite effect.

Good tenants don't have to (and most likely won't) put up with nonsense like that.

@OP - if you are looking after long term, look for families with kids (preferably school age). Sure the kids can do some extra damage, but the deposit should be able to cover it. Meanwhile moving with kids is a nightmare so most people will avoid it. Needless to say use common sense when showing the home, you probably don't want single mom with 5 kids on benefits and new boyfriend every 6 months (no offence intended to such individuals)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2018 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Re the phone debate. I remember when caller ID was first introduced; I and many others at the time considered it an invasion of privacy and took up the option to withold our numbers. My number is still witheld.

Times have changed as have attitudes, and I admit I now question the rationale of witholding Vs the convenience of knowing who's calling/called.

But I still withold.... for now. Nothing 'alarming' about that. Just a belief, possiby misplaced, in personal privacy.

For context, I don't use social media either so accept I'm out of step with the mass of society.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    For context, I don't use social media either so accept I'm out of step with the mass of society.

Neither do I, G_M, yet here we are... :D:p:rotfl:
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you must always look at a tenant the first time you meet them as they are out to impress you,you are unlikely to ever see them in that manner again because they want to create a good impression...and you only see the side of them at that first meeting that they want to portray.

I do believe that actually someone other than me is always going to be a better judge of character so will confess to thinking that my tenant find only contract with a LA I have got to know over several years is worth its weight in gold!

They have got it wrong occasionally but there is nothing foolproof...if a person wants you to believe that they are worthy of renting your property they will.

I am also a firm believer in using an agent as opposed to local ads or some of these online services simply because if the cost of referencing is minimal you are opening yourself up to someone who wouldn't look down the agency route simply because they cant afford to.

If as a LL you promote your property cheaply then there is a higher potential for a lower grade of tenant.

There are no certainties and I do have a LL friend who on their first rental went with a large high street agency and installed a family into the property only for it to turn into a cuckooed drugs den 6 months later.

OP to get a good tenant who has stayed 6 years was very good,my advice would be try and get conversations flowing with them about themselves in a relaxed format,thats often when people are the most revealing about themselves.

Hobbies,work,talking a little about the area,local resturants anything but the financial side of things,that can be checked later,how relaxed they are when viewing will never be answered by any form of credit check!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Options
    Neither do I, G_M, yet here we are... :D:p:rotfl:
    Yeah but unless you're really IT literate and can trace my IP address, you have no more idea who I am than I do. And I assure you that until the 3rd cup of tea in the morning I have absolutely no idea who I am.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I tend to be there with the letting agent during viewings, ask questions about their situations.

If you want someone long term...

Avoid people that own a house somewhere else or are selling and are moving for work, especially if its a larger house than they need, they will likely only be there short term while they look for somewhere local to buy and will use the house as storage.

Avoid people that have never lived together before, usually they rent to make sure they want to live together and you can end up picking up the pieces when it all goes wrong.

Be careful of strange questions like how often do you do inspections or people who want to take the house without viewing.

My recommendation is go slightly below market rates, that way you are more likely to get a choice of tenants, make sure the property is in good nick, generally that although not for certain will attract people who like to keep things in order, you will likely want to redecorate.

Make sure tenants are aware of what catchment area for what schools your property is in if they have little people.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2018 at 3:50PM
    Options
    mchale wrote: »
    Sound's silly but i always ring a perspective tenant on a withheld num, if they dont answer that raises alarm bells with me.
    When I was young I remember only having one phone in the hallway at my parent's house. Whenever the phone rang everything was dropped to answer it as it was almost certainly going to be relevant news. Never mind items on the hob spoiling, dinner getting cold, TV or a bath being interrupted. There was no answer machine so if a call was missed we did not know who it was.

Now there are four phones in the house (one landline, 3 mobile) and the phone ringing is ignored, we just carry on doing what we are doing. We look at our leisure to see who called. If it's friends/family they will follow up with a text or email or we text or email back to arrange a time to call.

If driving you cannot answer a mobile phone anyway.

I had no idea prioritising as I wish made me iffy :p
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with checking social media, indeed finding them that way is good. I'm afraid anyone doing duck face isn't living in my house. :rotfl: I'm looking for professional people that aren't always out drinking. I rejected one because the stack of presents around the Xmas tree was almost as big as the tree. I'm not convinced she'd have the money to pay the rent after Xmas.

I'm amazed what people put on Facebook.

I also check bank statements and most importantly take out rent guarantee insurance which also pays for legal costs. If everything else is done correctly I shouldn't need to use it. These companies will chase tenants to get their money back so it will affect their credit rating.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Every Landlord has their own ideas on how to select tenants, i do all viewings myself and talk to potential tenants, establishing a rapport early on is important to forming a good relationship.

Credit checks are almost useless it can take some considerable time for them to show negative markers, its taken me 9 months to get to court and CCJ registered, so I ask for bank statements just to check they are at least solvent.

Ex landlord references can be either false or misleading, I gave a Housing association a reasonable reference to get rid of a tenant I was having an issue getting to pay on time after two years of being a good tenant. Short story she kicked out husband and moved in boyfriend who i had a bad feeling about. After they got the reference and had a move in date with the HA they stopped paying me rent.

I had a prospective tenant tell me they were selling their house 150 miles away so i was able to track it down on rightmove from the contact address and excluded them because of the state of the pictures. There were pictures of them in photo's of the interior to confirm it was them living in that mess!. How anyone could let an agent take pictures with it in that state is beyond me, the garden was overgrown waist deep in weeds and brambles.

Unfortunately bad tenants are devious and good tenants and Landlords suffer.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    I am inclined to agree with this but realise this is not a luxury every prospective tenant has. Those on low incomes/who lack guarantors/large deposits and/or in areas of high demand for rental properties may have to resort to complying with these and even more intrusive requirements in order to secure a roof over their heads.

Yes we're in this situation at the moment, having to move due to a lack of suitable college provision for my (disabled) son and jumping through hoops to move in to a run down, smelly, very small rental that's nowhere near as nice as my current home and considerably more expensive. I've found being on housing benfit a massive problem when it comes to renting and tend to go armed with mountains of evidence that I'm a 'good' person. Would prefer not to have to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure