Bathroom quote

Hello I’ve had a basic quote to refurbish my bathroom, from a plumbers, that I would like to accept. I say basic because it says install shower, shower cubicle, basin vanity, heated towel rail and all the rest of it (plumbing, removal, disposal, tiling, flooring etc) It says that I am to provide the tiles. But there are no specifics - I don’t know what model or make of shower etc. I’d like to see what the towel rail and basin vanity looks like before I accept. Is this normal for it to be so vague? I’ve not ever had a quote for a job like this before apart from when mfi did my kitchen back in the day where I chose everything myself. Will I get a second more detailed quote if I accept or am I just being unrealistic?
Thank you again - I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing!
Mortgage and debt free :)

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would usually allocate part of the budget as a PC Sum towards the sanitary-ware on a quote. That price is based on the client's budget, what they've shown me that they like. I'd usually put together a Pinterest board for them beforehand so they have a good idea of what is on offer.

We agree on the actual fittings once the price is agreed as acceptable. If you've not even had a conversation then you've got yourself a plumber, not a designer. The price also probably reflects that. They're either not providing those items in their quote or you'll get bog standard contract grade items.

You say that quote says "install", which isn't the same as "supply and fit". You need to clarify.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply Doozergirl. Could you please tell me what PC sum stands for?
    I did look at their Facebook page to see the sort of things they’d done before and liked what I saw. And when they were here, we did discuss what I wanted. Like you say I think I need to clarify a few things with them.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 June 2018 at 1:09PM
    Ignore me. It's a provisional sum, not PC.

It's just a price for items not yet specified. So it's a budget to work to but ultimately subject to change based on the actual cost of goods.

If you liked something on Facebook page, I could easily set the budget for your bathroom but I might not know or want to fully price the actual cost until I was engaged.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    I have emailed back and forth with him today and have now agreed on a plan of action and accepted his quote. I can’t thank you enough for your help with this. I love this site !!!128578; Thanks
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As above. I allow a provisional sum for sanitary ware, brassware tiles etc based on experience. This allows the customer to see what the overall cost will be. If they choose something a bit more expensive, then they can pay a bit more, but if they choose something less expensive, the quote will reduce.

I always take suppliers catalogues as I wont do any labour only now as it is far too problematic.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure