Florida - Orlando - ways to minimise costs

Hello everyone,

Just looking for a little bit of help from those who have been to Orlando in the past few years.
Me and my wife are going to Orlando and looking for ways to reduce our costs. We are staying in a villa as this was a lot cheaper than the larger hotels.
Is there any food passes or parking passes that we can buy to get these at a much cheaper rate?
We will probably eat at the villa during the evening but not sure about food for during the day.
Any other advice would be great!
Thanks
Darren

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you're driving get the toll pass, that will save you time and probably money too.

There's no parking pass for the parks unfortunately. It used to be free parking at Disney Springs but you'd then need to get a bus to a resort and then a theme park, not sure if this still works and it eats into your time.

Buy snacks and breakfast items at a supermarket and eat before you leave. The parks will serve you free water with ice so I wouldn't bother buying bottles. Disney allow picnics and snacks as long as no glass or large coolers, the food portions are often large enough to share. I can't remember much about universal except sharing a lunch at Harry Potter as it was chicken, ribs and sides and was enormous.

Sign up for Groupon Orlando and see if offers come up, we got an offer on Starbucks vouchers, a few dinners and a couples massage.
  • izzitme
    izzitme Posts: 409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The best site for information on all things Orlando, Disney & Universal etc is the DIBB
    https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/

Far more details there than anything on MSE.
    Going down the Oteley Road to see the Shrewsbury aces! :T
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We always have a good breakfast at the villa, and then we only need a light snack at Lunchtime. The men always have a cooked breakfast but something like a bacon roll/sandwich fills me up.

We stock up on snacks and some bottles of water at the supermarket (normally walmar) and then freeze the water and take that to the park and refill at the water fountains as required.

There will be lots of coupons in magazines for local restaurants (if you want to eat out) that will save you money.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • disney parks all give you free cups of water from there drinks outlets - just ask!
    When we were their they even had them all ready to give out as it was hot.
  • I second looking at thedibb - great site
  • stephen160
    stephen160 Posts: 71 Forumite
    for a quick meal around $5 try shake and steak not bad burgers for the money . There are several in the Orlando area, have a look on their web site
    steve
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The cheapest supermarket chain is Wal-Mart. Stock up and take drinks and snacks to the park with you.
    Parking at Disney Theme parks is expensive, but you can leave and come back the same day. We quite often leave, go off site for lunch and a rest, go back later in the day.
    It used to be the case that you could shop cheaply at the factory outlets, but the two big ones are introducing a $10 charge, so have a look at the maps to see which has the best stores for your taste.
    Pick up the coupon booklets and use them. I think you can get them from the info desk at the airport, but definitely from supermarkets. You won't get coupons for Disney or Universal, but will for the minor attractions, chain restaurants and stores.
    Plan your trips and what you want to do carefully, especially for the evening shows, that way you won't have to pay to park hop.
    Unless you really need the bigger car, tell them you aren't interested when they try to hard sell all the extras.
    Read the Florida Highway Code equivalent before you travel to avoid any unnecessary fines. If you don't do anything else, find out what to do if a school bus stops or you are passing a stationary police car. And switch your headlights on if it rains.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Definitely stock up at Walmart
    Some restaurants will have early bird specials.
    Do you have a BBQ at your villa? Cheap and fun evening meal if you do...
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Did the Orlando Sticky here not prove informative..?
  • stephen160
    stephen160 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Have a look at Groupon.com and select Orlando. I have had some great attraction deals and some restaurant deals
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure