Sainsbury’s credit card owe ME money

I cancelled my credit card with Sainsbury’s mid March and received a confirmation letter Dated 5 April acknowledging this and stating they owed me £485.78. 2 weeks later I contacted them saying I had not received it... now numerous complaints to customer services then to the chief executives to no avail... various excuses... firstly I was told it had been paid ... er not in my account- I was then told by a customer service advisor that other people had had similar problems- then each day I’ve had phone calls asking if the money was back in my account?? Then finally last week I emailed the CEO of Sainsbury’s and the CEO of Sainsbury’s bank - funnily enough the executive person I spoke to was the same as customer service person?? I still don’t have my money 6 weeks later? They said it was paid to me but as can be seen my my bank account it has not!! How can I get this money back sooner rather than later whilst they ‘investigate ‘ it and can I request interest on amount they owe me and even request equivalent of late payment fees which they charge if I had of been late?

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    How did the account get into credit in the first place?
    Why did you choose to close the account with a credit balance rather than either spend the amount of the credit balance on the card first or request a refund of the credit balance prior to closing the account?
    Why were you in such a rush to close this account?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    KAT78 wrote: »
    Then finally last week I emailed the CEO of Sainsbury’s and the CEO of Sainsbury’s bank - funnily enough the executive person I spoke to was the same as customer service person??

That's because complaints get passed to the complaints team.

KAT78 wrote: »
    can I request interest on amount they owe me and even request equivalent of late payment fees which they charge if I had of been late?
    If you put those conditions on your credit agreement with them, then yes.

But obviously you can't make those terms up now if you hadn't already agreed them.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Firstly, emailing the CEO will not get you a response from a CEO. They won't have even seen it, it'll have gone to their secretary who will have passed it right back to the people you were trying to bypass.

Secondly, where does this credit come from? Its an unusual amount o have refunded onto a closed account...
  • I've had a similar problem with Tescos. If you complain about a service it gets handled by the person you were complaining about. Surely this isn't right? They should at least have two peope working in such a department so that one can check the other?
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you ask how they are refunding it? If they refund it by cheque, then that takes time. Has it been refunded or is it the refund has been requested. You need to exhaust the complaints procedure before escalating it
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Phoned Tesco bank tonight for a refund of a credit balance on my cc caused by an insurance refund, they said it will be in my bank account within 2 days. Good work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure