PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kondo Marie vs Julie Morgenstern?

Has anyone read/used both Marie Kondo and Julie Morgenstern's books to help get their homes organized and decluttered? I've heard good things about both and not sure which to go with first - obviously MK is extremely popular but I'm not sure how much of that is just down to trendiness. I know there are a lot of people who have used the Kondo method on this forum so I figured I'd ask you lovely people if you have any recommendations? Or some other method you have found that works better for you?

I unfortunately can't check them out of the library to compare as there are waiting lists for both with 10+ people on them and so there is no way to read them before buying. I have several days off coming up and I'm planning on using them to get a handle on tidying up my living space so I'd really rather not wait the many months it would take for my turn to come up on the waiting list.

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) In the past several years, I've probably read most of the books available on this subject. I have to say that the Morgenstein book didn't speak to me, although it is very detailed. Style is a very personal thing and it just didn't rock it for me.

KM did. I could also heartily recommend Karen Kingston's Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui which has been out a few years now and may be more easily available.

Even if mysticism isn't your thang (it isn't mine) there is oodles of commonsense and thought-provoking concepts in that little book which I think would benefit someone wanting a helping hand around this subject area.

Also, there's a lot of stuff available online, this website is a useful consolidator, run by a British woman: http://simplicityvoices.com/

HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If you can't get the kondo book, check out some videos on you tube. Plenty of both Marie herself and people showing how it's done. Also the kondo forum on here has brilliant advice and is very friendly ;)
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Oh I loved the Kon-Mari book, I seriously think it changed my life. I think it's the messages about letting things go and how you can deal with the guilt that comes with parting with things that really hit home.

Havent read Julie Morgenstern but if its decluttering you are after I would strongly recommend Marie Kondo.
  • Or, rather than books that cost money, etc,

1. If I had to leave the house at night because it was on fire, would I run back in to get this or pick this up on my way out?

2. If the house burned down, would I have to replace this immediately?

3. If the house burned down, would I need to replace it soon?

4. If the house burned down, would this be likely to be an integral part of the fire, whether by starting it, adding fuel to it or getting in the way of my escape?

5. If the house burned down, would I be crying over this being burned for years to come?

Once you've established whether it's vitally important practically or emotionally, you can thin out what you have surrounding you and find homes for what you keep. Obviously, this situation carries unspoken certainties - yes, everybody including pets were already out perfectly safe and happy - it's just you in the burning house and the stuff.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • I like Kon Marie because it's such a simple idea. Julie is a rehash of most of the other get rid, get organized and stop procrastinating books. GREAT ideas that I'm too unorganized to do. If it takes a lot of steps I'll start and never finish. Then I've failed at decluttering once again. So to me, it just depends on personality types. If you are a follow through type of gal you might enjoy Julie's method.

I really 'got' the concept of "does this spark joy" in the Kon Marie concept. It made sense to me and was so simple that I could incorporate it into my thinking. Did I do the clean out steps in the order she prescribed??? No, but I have cleaned out a ton of stuff and continue to do so. That's epic for me.

I never read her book, I just watched utube and started posting with others here. Both women have utube videos that explain it to you. Best wishes in whatever you chose.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Oh my word GREYQUEEN,

That website you posted above... I had a look just before 9pm, found a challenge on it ('Clear 100 things in one hour'), did the challenge up to 10pm and am now sitting looking at a big pile of stuff that I do not use, do not need, forgot I had etc etc.

Thank you so much! I am now off to have a thorough look through the website to see what else inspires me. I might even repeat the challenge tomorrow. If anyone is in need of some inspiration, take a look at the site GQ posted at the start of this thread.

Thanks thanks thanks!
    Weight loss 2017/2018 - 49 lbs
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) In the past several years, I've probably read most of the books available on this subject. I have to say that the Morgenstein book didn't speak to me, although it is very detailed. Style is a very personal thing and it just didn't rock it for me. KM did.

I could also heartily recommend Karen Kingston's Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui which has been out a few years now and may be more easily available.

Even if mysticism isn't your thang (it isn't mine) there is oodles of commonsense and thought-provoking concepts in that little book which I think would benefit someone wanting a helping hand around this subject area.

Thanks GrayQueen, that site looks excellent! I'm glad to hear that the Kondo method worked for you, I'm hoping it will 'click' for me as well! I've seen several of your posts on the Kondo thread on here - looks like you've made significant progress! I saw Kingston's Feng Shui book at the library but I couldn't get over the mystic stuff, I'm hoping Kondo's book won't be quite as out there.
    wort wrote: »
    If you can't get the kondo book, check out some videos on you tube. Plenty of both Marie herself and people showing how it's done. Also the kondo forum on here has brilliant advice and is very friendly ;)

Thanks Wort! I have checked out various youtube videos, they're definitely a good resource however I'm really hoping to get a book since I find if I watch videos that it just leads me down the rabbit hole of the internet, and I never get around to actually doing it. Plus if I find it helpful I want to be able to lend it to my parents afterwards as they're finding the process of de-cluttering the family home rather difficult. The forum is helpful, thanks for suggesting it - I've spent awhile reading it today and I'm inspired to get started after seeing everyone's progress!
    Oh I loved the Kon-Mari book, I seriously think it changed my life. I think it's the messages about letting things go and how you can deal with the guilt that comes with parting with things that really hit home.

Havent read Julie Morgenstern but if its decluttering you are after I would strongly recommend Marie Kondo.

That's great to hear that it helped you YorkshireLass! I think I need help with both decluttering and organizing, I'm hoping once I get the clutter cleared out that the organizing will become easier.
  • Or, rather than books that cost money, etc,
    1. If I had to leave the house at night because it was on fire, would I run back in to get this or pick this up on my way out?

4. If the house burned down, would this be likely to be an integral part of the fire, whether by starting it, adding fuel to it or getting in the way of my escape?

5. If the house burned down, would I be crying over this being burned for years to come?

Once you've established whether it's vitally important practically or emotionally, you can thin out what you have surrounding you and find homes for what you keep. Obviously, this situation carries unspoken certainties - yes, everybody including pets were already out perfectly safe and happy - it's just you in the burning house and the stuff.

Thanks Jojo, I'm sure this method would be helpful for many, however I've always had a hard time with it, not sure why. I've tried the 'what would I take if I was moving' and the 'what about a fire' approach but I'm thinking I need a somewhat more structured approach. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    I like Kon Marie because it's such a simple idea. Julie is a rehash of most of the other get rid, get organized and stop procrastinating books. GREAT ideas that I'm too unorganized to do. If it takes a lot of steps I'll start and never finish. Then I've failed at decluttering once again. So to me, it just depends on personality types. If you are a follow through type of gal you might enjoy Julie's method.

I really 'got' the concept of "does this spark joy" in the Kon Marie concept. It made sense to me and was so simple that I could incorporate it into my thinking. Did I do the clean out steps in the order she prescribed??? No, but I have cleaned out a ton of stuff and continue to do so. That's epic for me.

Thanks Mila! I know what you mean about great ideas that are hard to do. So it sounds like Kondo is more what I need! I did see that Julie seems to have very scripted steps, and I like what you say about being incorporate it into my thinking - for me that seems to be key since I always hear about these ideas but never really am able to tie it into my life.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Or, rather than books that cost money, etc,

Loving this Jojo, have just copied and printed it out. Will now stick it up somewhere prominent to remind me.

We'll be moving in a couple of years time, so another one I also have nagging at me is, do I want to pay somebody to take this to our new house?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• I don't think I have read the Julie Morgenstern book. I did really like the first Marie Kondo book. It did help me to get rid of a lot of stuff from my house. I like her quirky style.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure