Mis-sold solar panel reclaiming fees

Comments

• If you wanted to make a claim against the finance provider in situations where the solar panel provider has gone bust, i'd recommend looking at Section 75 and 75A of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 as well as Section 140. This may allow you to claim against the finance provider if you've paid on credit card or a finance deal and the solar panel was mis-sold, there was a breach of contract, or an unfair relationship. Have a read around. May help.
  • Hello,

I have a 10 year finance deal with the total amount of credit costing £17,058. I am just about half way through paying for this. The basis of my claim is due to pressure selling and being told that the panels would be self funding when in fact the closest they have came to being self funding in 5 years is about £50 short for a quarter and as much as £400 short during winter. Never have the panels actually been self funding.

Self funding does not mean it will pay your entire electricity bills it simply means you will get back the amount you spent in reduced bills and your FIT payments, which will take a number of years to achieve, so you have no claim there.

I also have SP, but I paid for then outright so my payback time will be much shorter because I have no interest payments to make.
  • Jonboy2020 wrote: »
    I have a similar story with a slight twist. Had solar panels fitted just over 4 years ago financed on a credit agreement over 15 years. Total credit cost would have been £18,000. Were told it would pay for itself etc.. 18 months ago we were cold called by a solar claims company promising they could claim compensation for us, no win no fee, 29% + VAT on amount won. After a year of doing nothing they finally got our credit company to admit mis-selling and they offered a deal, to remove the panels and refund us our credit payments minus the FIT payments and savings on our electricity bills. The claims company advised us to accept the offer which we did. Our panels were removed and we were refunded £2700. This is where it gets interesting. We then received an invoice from the claims company for over £4000! In their opinion they have charged us for the entire outstanding amount we would have owed (about £9800) plus the refund we received to give a total of nearly £12000 more than the cash price of the entire solar panel system! Yet how can they claim that when we now longer have the solar panels! It is not compensation in any shape or form simply a refund. We would have been happy to pay the 29% on the refund but are currently in dispute about the claim on the outstanding balance. Beware! BTW the Legal Ombudsman and Claims Management Regulator both claim they have no authority over solar claims companies so no help there. Have contacted trading standards as my only recourse. Anyone else had a similar story, any advice? Will post on outcome.....

You have been stitched up twice here, 3 times if you count having to loose years of FIT payments.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Enitsuj71 wrote: »
    Thats incorrect - you are able to complain about miss selling for solar panels when a company has gone "bust" you need to do it through the FCA, however you need to have made a complaint to your finance company first.
    The FCA does not involve itself with individual consumer complaints. You may be thinking of FSCS, but I don't see how you can complain to your finance company about mis-selling if they didn't sell it to you!
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    I would never take finance on solar PV. PV panels can vary in performance just based on weather factors alone,

This much is true.
    mechanical faults.

False - there are no moving parts in a solar panel
    It can also vary depending on how much of the PV generated you actually use rather than how much gets exported to the grid....

False - FIT payments are made on net generation and (in the vast majority of cases) on a deemed 50% export tariff.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ChopperST wrote: »
    Tthere are no moving parts in a solar panel
    True, but they are not indestructible and are exposed to all weathers so they will degrade over time.
    I expect that's what the other poster meant by "mechanical faults".
  • Enitsuj71
    Enitsuj71 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2017 at 12:02PM
    The FCA does not involve itself with individual consumer complaints. You may be thinking of FSCS, but I don't see how you can complain to your finance company about mis-selling if they didn't sell it to you!

I have a complaint still pending along side many others I am told, with the Financial Ombudsman Service, Appologies if i gave the wrong acronym. The Finance was provided by Helms, through Shawbrook.
    When a company has gone into liquidation you can take your case to the FOS and they will investigate and the claim is then against the finance company as they are deemed equally liable for the product and the selling under sec 75 of consumer credit act.
  • Hello,

Just looking to see if anyone has any experience with mis-sold solar panel re-claiming. I have been in contact with a company TLW Solicitors who deal with such claims. Irrespective of the validity of my claim, I was looking to get anyone's opinion/experience of the no win no fee offer.

I have a 10 year finance deal with the total amount of credit costing £17,058. I am just about half way through paying for this. The basis of my claim is due to pressure selling and being told that the panels would be self funding when in fact the closest they have came to being self funding in 5 years is about £50 short for a quarter and as much as £400 short during winter. Never have the panels actually been self funding.

That aside the company TLW state that they take 30% of any amount of cash sum or financial benefit won in a successful claim plus VAT. Assuming a cash sum was awarded then that would be fine because they just deduct the 30% from the total amount won. Its the "financial benefit" bit that I am concerned about. In a worst case scenario where the finance company only agree to cancel my remaining finance and do not offer any compensation for the amount paid thus far and given that I am half way though my agreement and still owe £8529 that would mean I owe the solicitors 30% of that plus VAT which comes to around £3000. That would of course be a hefty bill and I am just wondering first if anyone has had a similar experience or have I likely got this completely wrong?

I'm beginning to think the re-claiming is as big as scam as the mis-selling?

I spoke to this company initially before i took my complaint to the FOS, when i got down to the nitty gritty, a successful claim through them would have cost more than the cost of the solar panels in the 1st place, i would have still owed them. Wasn't sensible to pursue this route.
  • Hi, I've just found this forum after googling 'Mis Sold Solar' as I was contacted by a company called Reclaim Solar in April 2015. They said I may have been Mis Sold my solar panels (not sure how they got my number?).The solar panels, which have not performed too badly but do produce less than I was promised by the salesman were paid for on my credit card and they said I may have a claim. I paid £99 for a survey on my home and was told I did have a case. Since then I've had no communication. I looked at their website and it says the cases are now being dealt with by High Street Solicitors in Liverpool! I've contacted them but they said that all the cases were being held up by FOZ?. Has anybody else had dealings with Reclaim Solar? I feel like I've been had for £99!
  • HI,

I installed solar panels back in 2014.

I was sold these by a company that has gone into liquidation however during the process of being sold these I was informed from there sales man that,
    1) It would at least pay for them selves on a quarterly basis, which equates to £104 per month x 3 so get £312 back from feed in tarrif.
    The most I have had for a quarter is £121
    2) They would reduce my electric bill by about 1/2.
    Looking through my electric bills from records show I might have saved £5 a month in total.
    3) They will pay for themselves in 10 years and are good for 20 years.
    At the moment I might get my money back ie, pay for them selves by the 2100 as mostly I get back is £10-30 a quarter.
    4) I took out a credit agreement with a high street bank which the company provided an agreement.
    I have contacted the bank in concern stating that I was miss sold the panels and what I was promised from the company. This was over 2 years ago, after 1 year of getting no where I contacted the Finance Omnibus and gave them do deal with it. Now after 14months of waiting with 2 e-mails stating they are getting all the facts together. I'm still waiting and paying for something that doesn't work.

Has anyone else contacted the Finance omnibus about this matter and had a responce from them? How long did it take? Have you recieved any money back or did the bank stop taking the money?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback