Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Comments

• Hi,

My first ever post.

Recently my Thomas Cook flight was delayed for 5 hours.

Thomas Cook has agreed to pay £680 compensation in the form of holiday vouchers to be used against a future TC holiday.

Am I obliged to accept the discount vouchers or can I insist on cash?

Greenockian
  • UPDATE:
    got a bog standard letter off Thomas Cook with an apology. We went into the branch we booked our Holiday in today and we were told that is the end resolution as far as they are concerned.
    I printed a copy of the CAA regulations on 'denied boarding' showing due compensation of €400 each and they basically told us ' We flew, end of'....

I am not sure of our next step as I know we are not blame for this fiasco but Thomas Cook say because we were NOT booked on the 6:55AM flight (even though the tickets we were sent say we were) they have nothing more to say. I am raging now as they changed our flight times NOT us and we even went into their branch to check that we had been moved to the 6:55AM flight from the original 7pm booking, now we don't know what to do.
    Can anyone help please?
  • batman44
    batman44 Posts: 545 Forumite
    Hi,

My first ever post.

Recently my Thomas Cook flight was delayed for 5 hours.

Thomas Cook has agreed to pay £680 compensation in the form of holiday vouchers to be used against a future TC holiday.

Am I obliged to accept the discount vouchers or can I insist on cash?

Greenockian

No you do not have to accept vouchers, you can ask for cash instead.
    Check out Vaubans Flight Delay Guide, you will be glad you did....:):):)
    Thomas Cook Claim - Settled Monarch Claim - Settled
  • batman44
    moser1878 wrote: »
    I have 2 questions. I booked a flight with Thomas Cook for several people, I was, therefore, the lead passenger, however, the event we were travelling to was cancelled and only my daughter and her boyfriend used the flight. The flight to Turkey was delayed and my daughter has followed the advice on this website.
    She has now received a defence from TC admitting the flight was delayed but also stating that, “In the absence of information to the contrary it is not possible to admit or deny the number of persons for whom the booking was made. Further no evidence has been provided as to whether the Claimant was the lead name on the booking. The Claimant is put to strict proof of the same.”
    Ques. No.1, Since my daughter was not the lead passenger (I was but did not travel) does this mean she and her boyfriend cannot claim?
    Our only proof of travel is a baggage tag for her boyfriend for the Return Journey, a boarding pass for my daughter for the Return Journey, Facebook messages between myself and my eldest daughter, who lives in Turkey and was collecting her sister from Dalaman airport, and a Turkish Passport Control stamp. My daughter sent photocopies of both the baggage tag and boarding pass to TC. TC eventually replied to an email providing a Case Ref. No. but did not, and have not disputed the proof we provided. We don’t know if this might be because just after take off from Gatwick, the plane had to make an emergency landing and later TC stated a new plane was provided but we have proof this was not so and perhaps TC might want to keep this low key.
    Ques. No. 2, Will her proof of a return journey plus our other proof we have suffice as evidence of travel and if not what can we do?
    You must make the claim as lead passenger on behalf of your daughter, you should have a booking ref, ie email, eticket, that sort of thing. You will need to get a letter of authority from her. You may have to send a freedom of info request to them to prove if you don't have anything. Your will need some solid evidence I could be wrong, I suggest you get some legal advice on here from a NWNF company.
  • Hi All,

First time posting on these forums but just want to thank the community for their invaluable information.

I've recently returned from Lanzarote where we experienced an 8 hour delay back to Glasgow. Using the option on the Thomas Cook website to request compensation for the delay, they have initially offered my £680 in Thomas Cook vouchers.

I can see a response above which has led me to challenge TC to provide the compensation in the form of cash. I will let you now how I get on.

Many thanks
    David
  • andyfer wrote: »
    Just been through the court process in Glasgow (actually Paisley Sheriff Court).
    Just google small claims Scotland and you will get all the info you need plus forms to download which you have to print out and fill in by hand and post to the court along with £71 fee.
    They will raise a summons against the other party who then have to decide whether to defend.
    If they do, a date will be set for a hearing for you to attend court.
    In our case they asked for a 3 week extension to prepare a defence, then agreed to settle before the next hearing.
    Still waiting for the money though 2 weeks later !!
    Hi andyfer, thanks for your help!! I had a look just got a bit confused what claim I had to raise so its the one at £71 thanks.

Just wondering if I have to go to court, I'm a best to get a lawyer?? I'm 6mnths pregnant and not sure if I could face this alone. Thanks for any other help!!

Paula
  • Camerop
    Camerop Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2013 at 11:39PM
    Hi everyone, this was the last correspondence I had from TC do I have a case for court?? Getting fed up now!!!!

Dear Ms Cameron

I am writing in response to your most recent email and I am sorry that you remain unhappy with our previous reply.

On receipt of your initial claim a full investigation was carried out by the airline into the circumstances surrounding this delay. This investigation included analysis of historical maintenance data, discussions with engineers, and a review of the activity of our other aircraft at the time. Following this thorough process we remain confident that the technical fault was extraordinary and that we took all reasonable measures possible to avoid the delay in question.

Having checked our records again I can confirm that there has been no change of decision regarding this flight delay.

I appreciate you remain unhappy with this decision, and whilst I regret this, we do not believe that a payment under the rules of the scheme is relevant in this particular case. Should you remain unhappy I can only suggest that you contact the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) online at https://www.caa.co.uk/passenger or call the CAA for advice on 020 7453 6888.

I trust this provides some clarity on our position and I can only apologise once again for the delay you encountered on this occasion.
  • Case passed to CAA who sent back to TC.

Sorry also received this !

Dear Ms Cameron

Thank you for both your letter and email.

I have checked the information that we hold on the flight mentioned in your letter. According to our information the decision has remained the same, whether this has not been looked at yet or not I cannot say. When we receive contact from the CAA the airline looks into the case and the reasons for the delay, we have a particular team who liaise with them, and if there are any changes made to the decision you will be notified in due course by the members of this team.

I thank you for your patience in this mater.

Kind Regards,
  • P_Doff
    P_Doff Posts: 76 Forumite
    batman44 wrote: »
    Does anyone have examples of court bundles, statement of case that sort of thing? I just want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks
    PM me your email address and I'll let you see what went into my bundle.
  • batman44
    P_Doff wrote: »
    PM me your email address and I'll let you see what went into my bundle.

Pm sent, cheers bud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport