The hours I am working are not adding up - please adivse

Options
PencilFriend
PencilFriend Posts: 2 Newbie
Hello. I have been working at a call centre (please don't let it put you of reading this ) for 2 months now.

Basically, how it goes is we log onto the dialler and it keeps track of the time we have been logged in. The only time we do not get paid for is when we are 'In Wrap' which is a few seconds, any time we are logged out (dinners, breaks, etc)

Every morning we get an email through of how many hours we have worked, calls completed etc. From what I calculate from the dialer to what the hours this compnay are paying me I am always losing out. Everyday It's either 20 mins there 45 minutes here. I am massivly dissapointed because I work 8 hours a day and I do as much over time as possible. It may not seem much, but thats around about £60 gone from my monthly wage, which I really need!

I asked my supervisor when I first started to have a look into it as my hours didnt tally up from my over time on friday and saturday. They came back saying that they was right.

So I asked them if i could have a copy of my 'In Wrap' time sheet, to see how many minutes are being deducted, what a suprise, they can't give me one. But surely if they can take the minutes away from me they must show me how they calculate it?

Alot of people have noticed this aswell, and abit of a fuss was made within the office. Their timesheets where double checked and was told that the times where correct. Later on in the day the supervisor sent around a piece of paper asking us to sign it to agree that the end of day report is correct. I didn't sign it, it seemed dodgy.

I don't know where I stand. Minutes are being lost and they can't tell me where they are going. I want to be paid for those hours I work. I can't walk out because I need the money and there is nothing else out there atm.

Any advise would be great, I have searched for other people discussing this on google, but no luck.

Thankyou

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    What exactly does 'In Wrap' mean? Is it the time between telephone calls when you are not actually ringing someone?
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it could be adding notes to accounts etc, or just noting what you've done on the call. OP is there anyway you could cut your WRAP time down by doing notes etc while the next call is dialing. Not that you shouldn't be paid for WRAP time, after all you're still doing work for the company in that time. When I worked for Telewest, I was often writing up notes when the next call came through, dunno if this is similar to what you do.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello. I have been working at a call centre (please don't let it put you of reading this ) for 2 months now.

Basically, how it goes is we log onto the dialler and it keeps track of the time we have been logged in. The only time we do not get paid for is when we are 'In Wrap' which is a few seconds, any time we are logged out (dinners, breaks, etc)

Every morning we get an email through of how many hours we have worked, calls completed etc. From what I calculate from the dialer to what the hours this compnay are paying me I am always losing out. Everyday It's either 20 mins there 45 minutes here. I am massivly dissapointed because I work 8 hours a day and I do as much over time as possible. It may not seem much, but thats around about £60 gone from my monthly wage, which I really need!

I asked my supervisor when I first started to have a look into it as my hours didnt tally up from my over time on friday and saturday. They came back saying that they was right.

So I asked them if i could have a copy of my 'In Wrap' time sheet, to see how many minutes are being deducted, what a suprise, they can't give me one. But surely if they can take the minutes away from me they must show me how they calculate it?

Alot of people have noticed this aswell, and abit of a fuss was made within the office. Their timesheets where double checked and was told that the times where correct. Later on in the day the supervisor sent around a piece of paper asking us to sign it to agree that the end of day report is correct. I didn't sign it, it seemed dodgy.

I don't know where I stand. Minutes are being lost and they can't tell me where they are going. I want to be paid for those hours I work. I can't walk out because I need the money and there is nothing else out there atm.

Any advise would be great, I have searched for other people discussing this on google, but no luck.

Thankyou

HI

In general you should be paid for the hours that constitute working time under the working time directive. If there is a discrepancy then clearly you may be being underpaid. If this is the case you could potentially have a claim for unlawful deduction of wages but you would need to take further advice on this.

You should monitor this issue over time to see where the discrepancies arise and when. One way to resolve it is to raise a grievance with your employer but tread carefully as you haven't been employed for very long and your rights to redress may be limited if they dismiss you. Perhaps a collective grievance would be possible with your colleagues as you say they are also being affected. See CAB website www.adviceguide.org.uk for info on how to resolve an employment problem at work.

The Pay and Work rights helpline should also be able to give you guidance on how to address this issue :

Pay and Work Rights Helpline
    Tel: 0800 917 2368
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    yes, wrap time is a key part of any call centre role, and not to pay for it is appalling practice. Appeal it, raise a group grievance or get a union involved, and get a new job asap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure