PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property Management Company taking the piddle

I posted this on the "in my house" board, but looks like it is best on here:

We have just recieved 10 brand new chairs for a communal lounge in our 44 block complex.
We have been told that these chairs have cost £3000 and we are going to be billed for them!! We had no consultation to whether we wanted them or not, but apparently the caretaker approached the property management company and said "the majority of residents have asked for new chairs in the lounge". This "majority" is 4 people who use the lounge for an hour each day to have a coffee and a gossip.
My question is, before I launch a verbal SCUD at the peoperty management company, who is responsible for this purchase. They have appologised for not consulting us, but an appology is not going to pay the £3000.

Comments

• Angela_D_3
    Angela_D_3 Posts: 1,071 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They can spend up to £3k without consulting you I believe, check your lease.
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    Angela_D wrote:
    They can spend up to £3k without consulting you I believe, check your lease.

That is one issue, the other issue is the caretaker's involvement in this, misinforming the management comnpany
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    £3000 for ten chairs? What are the chairs made of?!!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote:
    £3000 for ten chairs? What are the chairs made of?!!

exactly - and who sourced them at such a price, if 4 people use them for 1 hour each weekday, they are very expensive chairs and possibly even just decent second hand ones would have done.
    I understand one of the main issues was that the original chairs were not fire retardent, but I also understand that if the original chairs were purchased before 1983, they don't have to be fire retardent to comply with regulations, just new ones have to be. There was nothing wrong with the old ones TBH, not for the amopunt of use that was gotten out of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure