Sorting out finances for the long term

This is my first time on here though I get Martins emails every week and find them useful. I didn't think my debts were too bad, but when you add them up, well I just don't really see what I've spent the money on. Yes some fabulous holidays, I love the adventures but now it is time to tighten the belt and get sensible. I am desperate to save a deposit for a house, it is going to take me a few years but if I don't start now I'll be 40 and still living in a share flat :eek:! I have a reasonable job but it doesn't pay that well, I think I might need to bite the bullet and get a part time job for a few months, rein in the spending throw some money at the credit cards. I'm already doing my food shop online to try and save some pennies. After paying rent, bills etc their isn't very much left in the pot for fun stuff :-(

Well needs must and all, here goes, I will be debt free in a year!

Comments

• LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    You can do it ! Post your SOA, we'll give you all the help we can. :)
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Welcome to the boards GillyT.

It always is a gradual realisation and the thought ..i can't go on like this.

Have you had a look on Oldstyle for shopping inspiration, plus money off codes and cashback through Quidco..it becomes obsessive after a while.

Extra dosh is always good, so have a look at Mystery shopping, some advocate free bingo( i would rather chop off my hand), dooyou reviews, all and anything help towards that ever important debt free day.

Good luck on your journey.

BOB x
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • GillyT
    GillyT Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks for the advice and support, I'll definitley have a look at Quidco, as they say every little helps!

x
  • This article is good for info too on the cashback sites.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-sites-comparison/
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome to diaryland!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • betti911
    betti911 Posts: 819 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello! Well done for taking the first step. I look forward to read of your progress.
    Jan 1st 07 Car loan £4830.46@12% Personal Loan £11,517@8% variable Overdraft £1500 July 2009Halifax-£0Debt free date 14th July 2009 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure