Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2012 at 12:57PM
    Options
    rrj23 wrote: »
    ...3 semi detached that runs on LPG. It has two coal/wood fires in the living rooms, one in each.....a combi boiler... work in the day so prob in the winter look at the heating on in the morning and fingers crossed use the wood fires for the evening. worst case scenario woud be heating once am and once pm. ...caerphilly. wales.

Would any one have any idea if this would cost a fortune or would anyone like to share their usage and costing?

Welcome to the forum!

I hope someone can give you their usage but average UK usage is around two to two and a half thousand litres a year (some use only one thousand, some six!).

LPG is one of the most expensive forms of heating to run (see here) but not as expensive as daytime (i.e. full price) electricity.

Assuming you have your own above-ground tank you'll have to pay rent on it - probably £60-75 a year. And you'll probably have your boiler serviced (don't know the cost - sorry - my Gas Safe engineer is a mate!).

LPG costs vary widely. For example you could be paying 39ppl at present to Cardiff Gas (see here) or 70ppl to Flogas (or maybe more - only 2nd hand info). Nearly all companies want two year exclusive contracts and no-one knows what the price will be after the initial fixed price or the starting price. Most companies start low then increase - but a few independents (e.g. Extra Fuel, Cardiff Gas, LPGas Wales Direct) track the wholesale price (and post their prices on-line). Other independents track the wholesale price but don't post their prices - but this doesn't mean they don't give you a good deal. Check out my post with the graphs (see here).

I hope someone with a 3br semi-detached house, etc, etc like yours can give you an indication of their usage. But if the cost per litre can vary from 39 to 70 it's best to ask for usage rather than a figure in pounds!
  • bry54
    bry54 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a 3 bedroomed semi detached cottage with 8 radiators , sometimes having a log fire on cold evenings ,it's quite well insulated apart from no secondary glazing upstairs (old sash windows )
    Our last tank top up was in March ,which had lasted 11 months ,was 640 litres.
    We have a worcester bosch condensing combi boiler and a gas hob.
    We have the heating on timed for 90 mins in the morning and 120 minutes in the evening with room thermostat set to 18-19C
    Have 1-2 showers a day and the occasional bath.
  • rrj23
    rrj23 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    bry54 wrote: »
    We have a 3 bedroomed semi detached cottage with 8 radiators , sometimes having a log fire on cold evenings ,it's quite well insulated apart from no secondary glazing upstairs (old sash windows )
    Our last tank top up was in March ,which had lasted 11 months ,was 640 litres.
    We have a worcester bosch condensing combi boiler and a gas hob.
    We have the heating on timed for 90 mins in the morning and 120 minutes in the evening with room thermostat set to 18-19C
    Have 1-2 showers a day and the occasional bath.

With your top up of 640 litres, are you saying you only use 640 litres in 11 months or was there extra fuel in the tank?
  • bry54
    Options
    Yes about 640L in 11 months ,but can't remember exactly what the gauge read on the previous topup but would imagine we ordered when the tank was about 25% full each time.
  • rrj23
    Options
    bry54 wrote: »
    Yes about 640L in 11 months ,but can't remember exactly what the gauge read on the previous topup but would imagine we ordered when the tank was about 25% full each time.

The house has double glazing on all windows, a new roof and insualtion. I have a gas oven and a combi boiler.
    You seem to be quite effecient with what you use and I have two fires, 1 in each sitting room and because there are no long hallways could probably get away with keeeping the doors open to go up the stairs to the bedrooms.
    Thank You again
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    check out Bloomberg for the very latest bulk prices in USD (here) and decide if you want to put off fixing your new 2 yr contract

Didnt realise we imported LPG, I thought it was the spares from North Sea
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2012 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Didnt realise we imported LPG, I thought it was the spares from North Sea

So far as I know we don't import any LPG from USA. LPG is a (variable) mix of propane and butane - whereas mains gas is methane ('natural gas'). Propane makes up most of bulk LPG.

LPG comes both directly from crude oil and also from refining crude oil. Refineries can adjust what fractions they get from crude (and all crudes are different. 'Light' crude, with low sulphur, is the most valuable as it will produce more high value products). LPG is a valuable feedstock for the petrochemicals industry.

Petrochemicals are quoted in US dollars. Time back there was a move to also quote crude in Euros - the Americans were not best pleased! I think the move came from the Chinese (who keep the USA afloat).

The graph (here) shows Platts NWE (North West Europe) and ANSI (Argus North Sea Index) which are both quoted in dollars but HateLPG has converted to ppl. Extra Fuel probably gives a 'fair' price for the average domestic user.

Bloomberg (here) is showing a steep rise these last few days - so maybe time to think about fixing a contract. Or consulting a certified accurate crystal ball.

Hope that helps!
  • bry54
    Options
    HateLPG wrote: »
    However...........

From personal experience, this seems to be a pretty stock reply from the OFT if they don't know, aren't sure or simply aren't interested and just want the troublesome LPG user to go away. And also from personal experience, CAB are likely to be little, if any, help in any dispute - they have no teeth, merely advise (as their name suggests).

So where does that leave us? :mad:

It appears that there is absolutely no consumer protection whatsoever for LPG users.

Thanks HateLPG ,
    I've wrote back to the OFT on the 3/7 asking who I'm supposed to complain to ,I haven't had a reply.
    But I did contact my MP who suggested I contact Worcestershire Regulatory Services ,I've just wriiten them a letter.
    The saga continues...........
  • rrj23
    Options
    Jaspersmum wrote: »
    Hello
    I have moved into a house this week in a village with no gas. The bungalow is LPG and is supplied by Calor although is not on contract apparently.

I received a letter from Calor the day I moved in (keen) offering me a 2 year contract at 49.40 ppl + 5% vat and a standing charge of 16.90 ppd + vat.

I have no experience of LPG whatsoever, don't know anyone that has ever had it so have no idea if it is better to sign up to a contract or carry on like the previous owner who just had it filled when she needed it not automatically filled. I presume it would be a different price for that.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

I am looking at moving into a property with LPG? What have you decided to do? A bit scared of LPG. Been on mains gas for ever, lol.
  • Jaspersmum
    Jaspersmum Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi rrj23

I am going to start working through the very useful list of suppliers that LittleVermin kindly posted for me tomorrow morning. It has been manic here with moving house then mother in law in hospital having a hip replacement. I will ring round them all and ask them to email contracts so I can check them over.

I note that it has been mentioned that the price is starting to move upwards again so maybe I will sign up for a contract for a little piece of mind (if there is such a thing where this is concerned). Also I will try and look at the customer service aspect as well.

I am also looking into having 2 wood or multi fuel stoves fitted, I want to get away from using LPG as much as possible and just use it as a back up heating and for cooking. I will be doing some more scouting around tomorrow looking at the possible cost of a wood burning boiler with an LPG back up although I have been told already that they are expensive.

I used to live abroad and had solar panels and a log burner - life was a lot simpler!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback