PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer Dilemma

13»

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gonsdad wrote: »
    Lol...I wonder who paid for your deposit?

No parents by 16.

Stared homelessness in the face through late teens and early 20s.

Fought tooth and nail in !!!!!! jobs in call centres and bars just to stay afloat.

Eventually managed to win a place at a top ranking university.

Now have a secure and well-paid marketing career at a big company, doing what I want to do.

I'm still clawing back debts and the like I accrued during the bad days, but in the past few years I've travelled most of the world and will likely have my first (modest) home within a year or so.

So yes, while there is resentment towards those who have lived the silver spoon life, there is in no way an inferiority complex from my end, as I know that given my upbringing I've achieved far more than some toothy trustafarian living off their parents' generosity.

Everyone has a story, not just you. As already said, chip, shoulder. Before anyone accuses me of hypocrisy, my bitterness comes from having the Chav from Hell the other side of a party wall through no fault of our own. It is our fault we lost the dream and are here. Living next door to scum is not our fault. There is no excuse for chavish behaviour no matter how much money one has or does not have. Decency costs nothing; neither does courtesy, gonsdad.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    gonsdad wrote: »
    Lol...I wonder who paid for your deposit?

No parents by 16.

Stared homelessness in the face through late teens and early 20s.

Fought tooth and nail in !!!!!! jobs in call centres and bars just to stay afloat.

Eventually managed to win a place at a top ranking university.

Now have a secure and well-paid marketing career at a big company, doing what I want to do.

I'm still clawing back debts and the like I accrued during the bad days, but in the past few years I've travelled most of the world and will likely have my first (modest) home within a year or so.

So yes, while there is resentment towards those who have lived the silver spoon life, there is in no way an inferiority complex from my end, as I know that given my upbringing I've achieved far more than some toothy trustafarian living off their parents' generosity.

So that gives you the right to be rude and resentful towards people does it?

As I said earlier if you cant be polite to the posters in these forums then please take your comments elsewhere.

Many of the regular posters don't always agree with eachother here but it remains friendly and grudges do not resurface.

I wont be commenting again to you on this thread,you've taken up too much space already.

Take it to a PM if you have issue!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Thanks @Goingon30 not keen on a lodger living with us. Had far too many years in house shares as students...
  • @interestedparty2018 many thanks for your advice.
  • @hazyjo thank you so much for your view. Much appreciated. Interesting view - do younot think getting a tenant in while overpaying would be more financially worthwhile? Very good advice on a nanny - sadly we know this is what we’ll have to do realistically because of our long hours - so expensive in London though which is worrying.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Lazaros123 wrote: »
    @hazyjo thank you so much for your view. Much appreciated. Interesting view - do younot think getting a tenant in while overpaying would be more financially worthwhile? Very good advice on a nanny - sadly we know this is what we!!!8217;ll have to do realistically because of our long hours - so expensive in London though which is worrying.

I think your wants and desires will change drastically if/when you have kids. That may be before you ever occupy the flat. I bet once you have them, you'll think the flat completely unsuitable and want to sell it anyway. I also think you're underestimating the difference "a few years" makes at your age. I'm 48 and moved 8 times. I know lol. And the years go SO quickly! When you say "a few years" it often turns into 5+!

Every time I've moved, I've pretty much maxed out (and crossed fingers), then within 2-6 years the next mortgage has been for considerably more and I look back and wondered what the hell I was worrying about. And a few were in recessions and I lost money, but it enabled to me to buy what would otherwise have been unaffordable. Granted, it's not for everyone, but I'm just trying to say that what seems affordable or even a stretch now will seem like nothing in say 4 years' time. Especially on your salaries/bonuses! I often did that on my own on a salary of £20k or £30k odd (even less in the early days!). Now only have a very small mortgage and live in a lovely area.

I love anything property related, yet I know the hassles involved with being a landlord and have absolutely no desire to ever go down that road. Check out G_M's comprehensive list/post: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67759929&postcount=7

With stressful jobs and long hours, and maybe babies thrown into the mix, I would not want to be getting into the landlord business. You may try it and be lucky! (Presuming they bend to give you as FTBs a BTL mortgage!)

Given that things are fairly static, I'd prob save like mad and buy a house slightly further out in a couple of years in your shoes. You should have at least another £150k to add.

(Know you're not daft and not trying to patronise, but please also don't presume kids will come along when you want them. This gives an idea of how much fertility drops at 40 (and over) https://www.verywellfamily.com/what-are-the-chances-of-getting-pregnant-after-40-1960287 Add in a miscarriage or two (much higher odds every year) and you can get to mid-40s in the blink of an eye. Only saying it as I've had a couple of friends go through IVF (one now with two donor babies) and a few (including me) missing out completely.)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Lazaros123
    Lazaros123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2018 at 11:11AM
    I appreciate its a first world problem, but its the biggest financial decision we've ever had to make and we just don't know what's best, which is why we're grateful for any advice on that front.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you done an SOA? Basically, a summary of your incomings and outgoings? Do you know precisely how much you can save per month? If you want ideas how to reduce your outgoings, you could do worse than check out the Debt Free Wannabe board. You do not have to be in debt or be looking to live on a shoestring budget to glean good ideas, now do you?

What I am getting at (longwindedly, for which I apologise) is have you considered whether you want to dream in the short, medium or long-term? Do you want to wait, save like crazy and go for the "Escape to the Country"/whatever family home or do you want to get on the ladder at any cost now? Or something in between? The 3 bed semi in a nice-ish area with a view to moving again in 5-10 years?

The week end is almost here. Why not spend some time on the internet or even plan a day-trip to look at what you can or might be able to afford?

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.
  • Lazaros123
    Lazaros123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2018 at 11:10AM
    Thanks. We have no debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts