Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    • 6,326Posts
    • 43,608Thanks
    newgirly
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun!
    • 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun! 15th Apr 10 at 11:02 PM
    I have been reading other peoples posts for a while,trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to start overpaying on the mortage.DH and I have a house worth about £220,000 with a mortgage of £159,000 although we only paid £120,000 for it (£93,000 mortgage) to start. So as you can see we have been not so great in the past! Last year we also owed about £20,000 on credit cards which is now down to £10,000. I really want to get rid of the mortgage before our youngest turn 18, the twins are nearly 10 now. So any words of encouragement would be great, I need keeping on the straight and narrow.

Xmas paid for by saving £1 a day minimum in a sealed tin, plus homemade/sale stuff.
    Birthdays now in monthly budget, plus extra vouchers earned

I am taking part in the earn £2012 in 2012 challenge on the up your income board, so whatever earned from that will be split between op's and holidays fingers crossed.

Budget from may 2012 onwards:

income.................2092.00
    child benefit..........188.60
    child tax cr..............0 no longer!
    total....................£2280.60

mobiles x 2...........32.00
    tv licence..............12.37
    elec/gas................140.00
    water....................60.00
    council tax............125.83
    home insurance.......11.83
    pension..................21.90
    life ins....................15.17
    sky ........................21.00
    car tax....................15.83
    car ins.....................22.00
    car maintenance.........8.33
    petrol.......................60.00

school dinners............48.00 (1 dinner/1 bacon sarnie each pw)
    pocket money.............20.00
    clothes.......................30.00
    birthdays....................50.00

grocery.......................250.00
    (food/pets/cleaning)
    DH's money.................100.00
    0%cc ................................32.35
    mortgage interest.........425.00
    mortage overpayment....778.39

money in: £2280.60
    money out:£2280.60

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by newgirly; 16-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Page 369
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th Jun 18, 5:22 PM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 43,608 Thanks
    newgirly
    I thought I'd delete some of the 10k emails I have in my inbox this morning and happened upon a £20 gift voucher for my local shopping centre which was part of a bonus offer on a credit card I have

It's been put to use part paying for a couple of dresses for dds birthday, she needs a black tie suitable dress for the cruise and couldn't choose between two, so I bought one and popped back later to get the second as a a surprise, one was £80 down to £20 and is basically a copy of the one in Jessica rabbit the second was £80 to £40 , but came up as £25 minus the gift card it cost £5, very happy with that

Ordered a ring doorbell too today which can go up when the new door is fitted hopefully next week, should come in handy for listening out when the kids come home late, save getting out of bed!

No ops will be made this month as it's time to pay for the door /kids birthdays etc. instead, I have a spare £150 odd float which I'll keep hold of as I do anticipate a lot of spending coming up in July however in the interests of not feeling like a fraud here I've made a £5 op today
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£13,632 paid so far

Mortgage £36,319 4yrs left. Total owed £48,358 plan to clear in 14 months
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th Jun 18, 10:33 PM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 43,608 Thanks
    newgirly
    I'm on fire today

* London eye and champagne slot booked for Dd

* cruise dress bought for Dd

* all her presents wrapped

* contacted cake lady who is ecstatic about the themes - dr who (David tennant era) happy potter/ slitheryn/ Sherlock for Dd.
    The Beatles /oasis/stone roses for ds1 and a plain white cake for ds2 (it's a waste to have a stupid theme apparently!) with Marvin the paranoid android from hitchikers guide to the galaxy, with a depressing quote and the number 42 instead of 18

Cake lady is getting back to me tomorrow after working out an estimate, I know she is reasonable but she's has warned me she will get carried away as she loves the themes!
    MFW 21

• CathT
    • By CathT 19th Jun 18, 7:06 AM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,889 Thanks
    CathT
    Great find with the voucher and the dresses sound like a bargain.
    Although you are having an expensive month I am sure you will find the best bargains out there.

Am dreading my children being young adults and not knowing whether to continue education or go out to work. Currently dd wants to be a lawyer and ds changes between being a policeman and a car wash guy!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th Jun 18, 5:29 PM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 43,608 Thanks
    newgirly
    Car wash guy would be great cath, he's not a fan of shark tale by any chance is he?

Busy day at work, followed by a half hour swim at the gym as I'm trying to make more of an effort for the next few weeks

After weigh in tonight (shudder!) I'm aiming to have a ridiculously early night with a cup of tea, late nights waiting for the kids to get home and very early starts don't mix!

It's payday Friday nothing much will happen this month, but next month from July 1st we are in theory going to have 12 months left doubt we will make it in that time, but we have been in worse positions
    MFW 21

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 19th Jun 18, 8:30 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 109,630 Thanks
    gallygirl
    NG have you seen this place? Looks right up your street
    https://www.mr-foggs.com/mr-foggs-gin-parlour/

and the sister venue:
    https://cahoots-london.com/
    Last edited by gallygirl; Yesterday at 8:38 PM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th Jun 18, 10:13 PM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 43,608 Thanks
    newgirly
    GG I love you

Not much more to say but what an excellent post, I shall be visiting!
    MFW 21

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 19th Jun 18, 10:24 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 109,630 Thanks
    gallygirl
    GG I love you

Not much more to say but what an excellent post, I shall be visiting!
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Make it August dear and I might join you
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 20th Jun 18, 7:05 AM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 43,608 Thanks
    newgirly
    might hold you to that!

Weigh in last night, 1.5lb off, came home and had a salcombe gin G&T to celebrate courtesy of my parents and who have just come back from there, felt quite squiffy afterwards so may have to get a spirit measure, I'm not usually a spirit drinker and probably made it too big

Its ladies day at the races tomorrow, however best friend and I didn't read the group messages fully and thought we were seeing everyone listed as playing there, it was actually an advert for everyone playing through the summer, we are just seeing Billy ocean

Off to work, already leaving later than planned, I'm working on the top floor today helping out which in the summer with some of the machinery is very hot, you have the choice of having all the Juliette balcony doors open and the scent of the local dump (next door!) wafting in, or boiling to death, the guys usually plump for working alongside the stench. Currently I have the joy of listening to world cup pundits all day long on talk sport too, it's going to be a long day
    MFW 21

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,596Posts Today

8,605Users online

Martin's Twitter