Moving house on Tax Credits

Options
Hi. I am currently receiving Working Tax Credits and I am moving to an area that has gone full Universal Credits. When I move and ring the Working Tax Credits number with details of my new address, will they suspend my payments and make me make a brand new claim to Universal Credits or will they transfer me over?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Liz2018 wrote: »
    Hi. I am currently receiving Working Tax Credits and I am moving to an area that has gone full Universal Credits. When I move and ring the Working Tax Credits number with details of my new address, will they suspend my payments and make me make a brand new claim to Universal Credits or will they transfer me over?

No. They will only do that if it means you need to make new claim for one of the old benefits, such as housing benefit.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Be careful, as I have seen examples where Tax Credits have been stopped because of a change of address and people told to claim Universal Credlt instead. This was where there was no change in circumstances, which would have merited such a decision.

Don't accept being told you have to change to UC, simply because of a change of address.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure