Improve my Credit Score

Looking for advice. In April this year my credit score was at 567 with Clearscore. I closed 2 very old store/credit cards as I didn't realise I still had these and they were registered to an old address. Since then my score has dropped to a rating of 382. Whilst this is showing as Good, I am worried as I will probably need to apply for a new mortgage within the next 3-6 months as my current mortgage is in joint names and me and my partner are going our separate ways, so I will need a mortgage solely in my name. My question is, if I apply for another credit card (or 2) (even though I don't need them) and use them and pay the balance at the end of each month, would this improve my score over the next few months? Any help / advice much appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You don't have a credit score. The number you get from the CRA is just a made up number for entertainment purposes only.

You need to build credit history and sensible use of a credit card - clearing in full each month - is the best way to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure