Should i take the money now or wait?

Options
Hello,

My official date for redundancy is the 30th June however I spoke to the boss yesterday and he said its possible we could extend this until the end of September, at the same time he did say that if there wasn't any money in the company then I could always get paid out by the government scheme, this seems odd as he was saying last year its a viable company which I know it to be, now to complicate this I booked a weeks holiday on the day I leave which meant that I claimed half a years holiday entitlement, if I take his offer up then I expect to lose that, we have spoken loosely about me coming back after the holiday as a consultant but we can't discuss that in detail because of legal reasons as that opportunity will have to be offered to the other chap here and they don't want him back, i'll probably take that offer as a consultant as I have nothing else lined up and I'm looking to take the clients from here to start my own firm so that fits for me, anyway, so do I take the money in June or wait until September?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If this was a vote I'd go for June.

It's far clearer and takes away any doubt. Also, if the consultant thing doesn't happen at least your off for the summer :-)
    Space available for rent
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When he is talking about the government scheme the only one he could be referring to is for payouts after a company goes into insolvency. The fact he mentioned this doesn't bode well for the company tbh.

This link tells you about the gov scheme, but if you have a decent salary and would get more than the statutory redundancy figures it is unlikely to pay you as much as you would get from the company.

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/claiming-money-owed-to-you

Plus of course the old "bird in the hand" maxim which is a saying because its often completely true.

Good Luck
    Ali
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business