The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Advice needed

My partner has an overdraft with lloyds, currently £900 and paying £1.70 per day to be in it. What’s the best thing to do, my credit is better and more chance of getting credit to pay it off. We are paying £100 per month at the moment to pay it off so wondered should I get a 0% credit card for 12 months? I wouldn’t be able to get a balance transfer would I as it’s his account? Also how would I pay it would I have to draw the money out of accepted and then put it in his account and cancel his overdraft?

Michelle
2013 Wins

Jelly belly - still awaiting prize
Sanctuary facebook game - Odeon Club card with 3,000 points

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you can get a 0% money transfer card, then that would be the sensible thing to do.

Once you have withdrawn cash into your account, you can pay whoever you want.
  • sorry its been a long day, what do you mean? shall I get the balance transfer then put the money in my partners account?
    2013 Wins

Jelly belly - still awaiting prize
    Sanctuary facebook game - Odeon Club card with 3,000 points
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The card has to be a money transfer card NOT a balance transfer card.

If accepted for a 0% money transfer card then ask the credit card company to do a money transfer of £900 to account number 12345678 sort code 12-34-56 (the Lloyds account with the overdraft). This will clear the overdraft and the £900 is on the credit card at 0% interest until the specified date. Ensure the balance is cleared when the 0% ends. The CC company will charge about 3% ish for this (about £27).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport