eBay/shpock/ gumtree

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Buuy has a long story behind it setting up, mostly on a couple of other forums I visit and on twitter. One to be avoided really.

https://blog.buuy.co.uk

Just a few days ago they were trying to crowdfund 5k for "server boosting". They had less than £100 when I last looked. There's not a lot of anything behind them, apart from hot air and vivid imaginations! Even the forum had a massive 32 members online at once. I know we have to start somewhere but with some money behind you would be a good start!
    I didn't want to lead any responses. I get the Tamebay emails and they've praised it a couple of times. I had a look and it looked a bit meh. The front page had way too many items with "l@@k" on for my liking! It also had a few items that I sell so it kept me looking longer than I usually would. I don't know if they knew from a clever cookie or it was just coincidence.
    I do like the name Buuy though, if I win the lottery I'll take them over. <makes note to buy lottery ticket>

You could probably start a decent marketplace quite well without much money. Following the Facebook start might help, using existing communities. Pick a city and then pick some large communities, hospitals, universities, etc. Offer incentives for sellers and put on some live events. Once you have one city going for a couple of months, start a new one and do the same. Eventually you get a solid site and then can get investment. I've said many times that the problem with new sites is that they start with all categories and want to start selling worldwide. If that was viable Google, Apple or Microsoft would have done it by now.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello, Kim! :wave:
  • Strange thing is, gumtree is owned by eBay !!!
    Jane x
  • jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kimplus8 wrote: »
    I'm really confused, I've always used eBay to sell our stuff but recently I've heard lots about shpock and gumtree being better as listing is free?
    Can anyone here give me and explanation of the risks/ benefits of each of these selling platforms and is it worth while spending the time to list on all 3???
    Thanks in advance for your help :-)
    eBay bought Gumtree and I suspect it was an attempt to move eBay away from consumer to consumer auction style sales and move towards more of an Amazon like, retail experience.

For buying or selling large items, locally, I like to use Gumtree and BayCrazy.

Yes. Selling on Gumtree can be fee free.

There are lots of local selling groups popping up on Facebook, and I reckon that's where many of the serious car boot sellers migrated to.

I suspect Shpock came to market a little too late in the game.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jennyjj wrote: »
    eBay bought Gumtree and I suspect it was an attempt to move eBay away from consumer to consumer auction style sales and move towards more of an Amazon like, retail experience.

For buying or selling large items, locally, I like to use Gumtree and BayCrazy.

Yes. Selling on Gumtree can be fee free.

There are lots of local selling groups popping up on Facebook, and I reckon that's where many of the serious car boot sellers migrated to.

I suspect Shpock came to market a little too late in the game.

I'd never heard of baycrazy and had to go and look them up!

I see things a little different though, I think the Facebook selling pages have had their day, far too many time wasters and no shows and the selling groups I've joined over the years and dying now. I am having a great deal of success though on SHpock .

I gave up on Gumtree a couple of years back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Buuy has a long story behind it setting up, mostly on a couple of other forums I visit and on twitter. One to be avoided really.

https://blog.buuy.co.uk

Just a few days ago they were trying to crowdfund 5k for "server boosting". They had less than £100 when I last looked. There's not a lot of anything behind them, apart from hot air and vivid imaginations! Even the forum had a massive 32 members online at once. I know we have to start somewhere but with some money behind you would be a good start!

Buuy is closing on 2 January 2018 - just received their email tonight.
  • Mayday wrote: »
    Buuy is closing on 2 January 2018 - just received their email tonight.

No surprise there. They will probably have a grand reopening in November :rotfl:
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I do quite well selling locally on Preloved.
  • I've started selling on shpock and gumtree recently (changing career so upping sales), as well as ebay and must say gumtree is coming out tops. there have been a few no shows but i've sold stuff that's been hanging around on ebay for ages.

Not tried preloved yet
  • Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just received this email:

Buuy.co.uk is closing down...Feb 28th @ 5pm
    As you've seen by the subject line, Buuy.co.uk is finally coming to an end.

We simply cannot afford to keep the site running, even with the monthly fees which is great but it wasn't enough to cover literally everything we needed.

The last day will be Feb 28th and the site will shut down at 5pm on that date - It will go in to maintenance mode, and then vanish with a white screen appearing.

PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY MORE LISTINGS TO THE SITE

The entire site will be wiped clean from the server and destroyed.

The Facebook page has already been removed.

The Twitter account, will send out its last tweet on Feb 28th.

All information, listings, personal details etc will be destroyed.

Its been an amazing journey from thought to getting it off the ground to lasting as long as we have.

We wish you all the very best in your online selling journey - where ever and who ever you choose to list with.

Justin & Scott .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport