Metacam

Options
13»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My dog was sick and had to change to Loxicom which is much better. I pay for a prescription then buy from viovet and find this is cheaper plus I build up points to get money off.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My dog was sick and had to change to Loxicom which is much better. I pay for a prescription then buy from viovet and find this is cheaper plus I build up points to get money off.
    I wondered about getting meds from other sources...
    How much does the prescription cost and do you need a prescription EVERY time after this first one ?
    Our 4 days of Metacam cost £30 !! - which is an absolute ripoff.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I wondered about getting meds from other sources...
    How much does the prescription cost and do you need a prescription EVERY time after this first one ?
    Our 4 days of Metacam cost £30 !! - which is an absolute ripoff.

Your veterinary surgery will have their own a price for a prescription. There is not set charge.

You could phone and ask them.

You still need to see a vet tog et the first prescription so a consultation charge will be due plus the cost of the prescription. So your £30 would represent a consultation charge and the cost of the Metacam. You should be given a detailed receipt showing how the charge is made up. If you do not get one, ask for it.

If the treatment is ongoing the vet can issue a prescription for more than one month but must see your pet a regular intervals- maybe every 3 months or 6 months depending on th condition and how stable it is.

So you could pay a consultation charge for a one off treatment or a consultation charge to cover 3 or 6 months depending on how often the vet wants to see your pet.

So you need to know
    What your vets charge for a consultation:
    What does your vet charge to issue a prescription:
    What is the cost of the medicine online.

and compare with the cost the vet charges for supplying the medicine.

Also, remember you need to wait for the medicine to be delivered if ordering online so your pet does not et the benefit of the medicine right away.

So, it is probably not appropriate for a one of treatment.

It is more for ongoing treatment for continuing conditions.

e
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport