Advice for 14 Day Grace

Comments

• T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Send yourself a package with a loaded mouse trap in it...

UPDATE:

It turns out she didn't snap the card nor call Aqua, it was a ploy to teach me a lesson for getting the card without her permission, as its her address.

I now have the card in possession, but on the condition that I surrender my statement each month, to ensure I am not 'getting into deep water' or spending it on 'non-credit-worthy' purchases like food :rotfl:

So it's all good now, thanks for the posts above everyone!
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Might be worth pointing out to her that any debt you run up whilst living at her address won't affect her credit rating, as it is by the individual not the address. She may be under the misguided belief that you could tarnish her history if you do anything untoward. But from the way you describe it that may well have zero impact anyway!
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    T-G-C wrote: »
    UPDATE:

It turns out she didn't snap the card nor call Aqua, it was a ploy to teach me a lesson for getting the card without her permission, as its her address.

I now have the card in possession, but on the condition that I surrender my statement each month, to ensure I am not 'getting into deep water' or spending it on 'non-credit-worthy' purchases like food :rotfl:

Change parent, to partner, and that's classic financial abuse.

I mean, it still is. You're 18, you don't need parental (or spouse!) permission to send anything to an address you live at. Nor does your parents have the right to see your financial statements.

Now, the counter to this is that you would agree that upon any financial difficulties, you don't turn to the bank of mum and dad, but that's a fair exchange for not having someone controlling something that isn't their right to control.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Eh, they're just trying to teach you good financial habits, and their views on credit cards are a bit old-fashioned. Then again, many people cannot handle credit responsibly, and are better off without credit cards.

I'd say use the Aqua carefully for a couple of months, pay it off each month and let them see the statements. They'll calm down when they see you can handle your finances.

Then either get a job or go off to uni so you can move out and be independent.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2017 at 7:30PM
    T-G-C wrote: »
    UPDATE:

grow a back bone and tell your parent to butt out, your financial affairs have diddly squat to do with them.

you're 18, an adult,if you want to get things on credit you're allowed to.

if this was a partner doing it you'd be in an abusive relationship, with your partner trying to control you.

put your foot down now before it get's any worse.

your parents are stuck in the dark ages, good luck with eventually getting any kind of competitive mortgage without a credit report with multiple long standing well run credit accounts.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    tastyhog wrote: »
    grow a back bone and tell your parent to butt out, your financial affairs have diddly squat to do with them.

if this was a partner doing it you'd be in an abusive relationship, with your partner trying to control you.

your parents are stuck in the dark ages, good luck with eventually getting any kind of competitive mortgage without a credit report with multiple long standing well run credit accounts.

To which they may well reply, "Our house, our rules. You know what you can do if you don't like it".

You don't need multiple credit accounts to get a mortgage, you just need to show a history of well managed accounts. I've never had more than two cards and have taken out three mortgages without any problems.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    It sounds like you're living under less than harmonious circumstances :( But you could try pointing out to her that it is actually illegal - according to the Postal Services Act 2000 - to open mail addressed to someone else.

Actually it's not. For the purposes of the Act, mail is delivered once it is delivered to the address (rather than the person) on the envelope. It is then no longer in transit and outside of the scope of the Act, including the offences it creates.

Of course, there is still the Theft Act 1968 and Criminal Damage Act 1971 if the OP feels inclined to quote bits of law.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    To which they may well reply, "Our house, our rules. You know what you can do if you don't like it".

You don't need multiple credit accounts to get a mortgage, you just need to show a history of well managed accounts. I've never had more than two cards and have taken out three mortgages without any problems.

it's good that you agree that having multiple credit accounts, just like you have is a benefit to getting mortgages.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    tastyhog wrote: »

Whilst it would be nice to give a liberation speech since turning 18, when you live under a property in someone else's name, you have to follow their rules or face the door.

If I put my foot down, they'll be putting their foot on my back and out the front door :rotfl:

They did give me the card the next day and they lied about snapping it / calling Aqua, but have done it on the condition that I surrender my statement each month - which will be digital luckily - so I might just have to audit the PDF to say what I need to say to keep them happy :D
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well as an incentive to save then having the ability to move out on your own under these circumstances is quite a driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure