Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 9:47AM
    Can I please ask again whether people on the old BG dual collective tariff had a separate DD for gas and electricity as I had?

Can't understand why I had a gas refund mid-September and now a £0 balance? Why did BG not wait until the switch to OVO was finalised?

Also have not had an email from OVO confirming DD bank details (as stated on the online account opening screen) although both fuels with them from October 10th?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • mikeyorkie10
    mikeyorkie10 Posts: 195
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 9:57AM
    vigman wrote: »
    Can I please ask again whether people on the old BG dual collective tariff had a separate DD for gas and electricity as I had?

Can't understand why I had a gas refund mid-September and now a £0 balance? Why did BG not wait until the switch to OVO was finalised?

Also have not had an email from OVO confirming DD bank details (as stated on the online account opening screen) although both fuels with them from October 10th?

TIA

Vigman
    Nope, I had a single direct debit. When I looked at the account, they seemed to split it into two separate amounts but this was never reflected on the DD. I am still awaiting the gas element of the credit I should receive! I have asked BG what's going on.

I've had confirmation from Together that both have transferred over ok.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

TIA

Vigman

On the collective tariff I had a single DD covering both gas and electricity.

However on the day I received confirmation that my BG account was finishing on 25 Sept, I got two letters from telling me that I was to have a separate DD for gas and another DD for electricity wef 01 Oct. This was presumably computer generated on the assumption that I would be staying with BG on their standard tariff:eek:

Were you with BG before you went on the BG/MSE collective?

I received notification from Ovo of my DD amount well before the switch took place(26 Sept) and they took the DD amount on 28 Sept.
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 467
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Forumite

Vigman

I had two DD's on the BG Collective Tariff. I liked it that way for bonuses on current accounts etc ... plus it made it easier to keep an eye on what was going on with each energy bill.

(Addenda ... which turned out to be quite helpful when BG kept doubling up my DD each month for electricity for quite a few months ....... then could not get setting up a simple new DD right for months and months on the electricity!)
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Update: I had been with BG for gas and Se for electricity before the collective so BG obviously added a DD for electricity when it came through.

OVO has now set up DD but I had no notification of account used or DD guarantee.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • My switch was completed on the 26th September and I received a bill for gas that night but electricity is still outstanding... how long does it take. I submitted readings immediately and they are pretty similar to previous so no huge spike to arrouse any suspicious activity... has everyone else closed and switched?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    My switch was completed on the 26th September and I received a bill for gas that night but electricity is still outstanding... how long does it take. I submitted readings immediately and they are pretty similar to previous so no huge spike to arrouse any suspicious activity... has everyone else closed and switched?

Welcome to the forum.

My case is exactly the same as yours i.e. switched 26 Sep and had a gas bill showing a large credit on 28th Sept, but also nothing yet about electricity. The bill total for electricity will be deducted from my gas credit.

Spoke to BG and they state they have 3 weeks to action electricity; several other posters have the same experience as thee and me.
  • Enceladus
    Enceladus Posts: 89
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2017 at 1:23AM
    Hengus wrote: »
    Just to be clear, if BG is advised that a transfer is in progress by the new supplier in the period up to ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’ then you have tariff protection. In other words, you will stay on your present fixed tariff rates until the actual transfer goes through.
    Well BG seem to be ignoring the tariff protection.

Switched from the BG MSE Fix that expired on 3rd Oct to OVO. The dual fuel transfer is effective from 5th Oct.

Just had a final gas bill and this shows one rate until the 3rd Oct. For the 4th (1 day) I've been charged a significantly higher rate. Also the standing charge has increased by £0.04 + VAT.

The final bill is gas only, electricity has gone AWOL. And the website says my energy account is closed.

I calculate the gas overcharge as £0.42. (Presumably electricity will be similarly overcharged. I realise it's only one day but across all of us it mounts up, free profit for BG.
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 467
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Forumite
    Enceladus wrote: »
    Well BG seem to be ignoring the tariff protection.

A week or so ago, when I spoke to BG about my change from them to AVRO, I was told that I would see that it looks like I would be on the standard tariff after the Collective switch ended, but there would be a refund shown in the final bill to make up the difference. If I log on now, I see I am on the standard tariff for both gas and elec.

I will be watching my switch like a hawk to see evidence of this refund!
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    A week or so ago, when I spoke to BG about my change from them to AVRO, I was told that I would see that it looks like I would be on the standard tariff after the Collective switch ended, but there would be a refund shown in the final bill to make up the difference. If I log on now, I see I am on the standard tariff for both gas and elec.

I will be watching my switch like a hawk to see evidence of this refund!
    Same for me, with the new supplier starting on the 19th. I've captured various screenshots from the online account while it is still active, and have BG's email stating that I'll stay on the fixed tariff even if I leave them etc.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure