Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Just bought some Cooking Bacon from Lidl...looks no different that standard bacon slices.
    1kg £1.15.....though it came out at the till as £1.02p.
    Vacuum packed Use by 14th November.
  • Ken68 wrote: »
    Just bought some Cooking Bacon from Lidl...looks no different that standard bacon slices.
    1kg £1.15.....though it came out at the till as £1.02p.
    Vacuum packed Use by 14th November.
    You got lucky if you had slices, I bought a pack last week that had what I can only describe as bacon steaks, it was absolutely awful having to eat them :D honestly 😋.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Normally get cooking bacon from Heron, which is variable, sometimes Gammon lumps sometimes scrag ends.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    treboeth wrote: »
    You got lucky if you had slices, I bought a pack last week that had what I can only describe as bacon steaks, it was absolutely awful having to eat them :D honestly 😋.

We love them. We use them in soups and stews.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • ariba10 wrote: »
    We love them. We use them in soups and stews.

Same here, but sometimes you get the hardship of finding either rashers or steaks sized pieces and it`s George Foreman time for those :D
  • About 1 year ago we made the decision to stop shopping with Tesco as our bills were creeping out to £150-£200 per week! I know its a lot but we have 3 kids under 5 and the Mother in law who lives with us so it's a full house.

We shopped with Tesco for 15 years but in the big crash in 2007 to save money we switched from the big brands to Tesco own label but over the years Tesco became greedy and eroded the price difference between Tesco own label and branded goods.

So last summer I said lets try Lidl or Aldi. We started shopping at both to begin with, discovering what we liked and what we didn't. After a lot of experimenting and our own taste tests, 1 year on we now buy 99% of what we need in Lidl and I have to say that most if not all of what we buy is better quality and tastes better than Tesco.

In our opinion Lidl has the edge on taste and quality over Aldi (only just) but Lidl stores can be a bit like a jumble sale, with messy shelves and queues at the tills, Aldi has the service element nailed and it is a nicer place to shop.

So what are we saving? Around £50-£75 per week! Yep, over there year our savings are around £3500 which is enough for a great family holiday. To achieve these types of savings you need to switch everything to the their own brands and by everything I mean everything; toiletries, groceries, frozen, sauces, crisps and coffee. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about washing myself with 39p shower gel but its smells divine and I've never felt so clean lol.

What are you waiting for, take the challenge lol.

Here are a few winners from our own personal taste tests (all from Lidl unless stated)

Tinned Tom & Basil Soup - Amazing!
    Columbian Instant Coffee - Delish!
    Fresh Thai Green Chicken Curry Read Meal - Restaurant Quality, amazing flavours
    Maris Piper Chunk Chips - Nice
    Sweet Chilli Lentil Curls - Lovely and low fat too (Nice in both Lidl & Aldi)
    Frozen Choc Almond ice creams - Nom Nom Nom (magnums in a differnt wrapper and half the price)
    Enchilada Cooking sauce - Nice
  • You’re a bit late to the party! We done this years ago. The few things you can’t get in Lidl and ALDI you get in home bargains or b & m. We simply can’t afford to do the main shop in Tesco anymore. Aldi is much better than Lidl at getting people through the tills.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You’re a bit late to the party! We done this years ago.
    But like the church, all comers are welcome :A
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Fresh Thai Green Chicken Curry Ready Meal - Restaurant Quality, amazing flavours

Both the Lidl Red and Green Thai Curries are nice. However, they both have way more salt that is appropriate (the Green is worse), especially for spicy dishes that don't need as much salt.

IIRC of all the chilled ready meals in Lidl, only the Chilli con Carne has a sensible amount of salt.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    About 1 year ago we made the decision to stop shopping with Tesco as our bills were creeping out to £150-£200 per week! I know its a lot but we have 3 kids under 5 and the Mother in law who lives with us so it's a full house.

So last summer I said lets try Lidl or Aldi. We started shopping at both to begin with, discovering what we liked and what we didn't. After a lot of experimenting and our own taste tests, 1 year on we now buy 99% of what we need in Lidl and I have to say that most if not all of what we buy is better quality and tastes better than Tesco.........

Welcome to the club - and I guarantee you won't go back to Tesco now that you've discovered the secret! Everything now seems overpriced in the major supermarkets, essentially because it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure