PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leasehold building works, does the expected cost per leaseholder have to be stated?

This is a specific question about a situation where a managing agent wants do works to a block of flats and has to consult with the leaseholders about the works and their cost.

When a managing agent carries out the consultation process because the expected cost per leaseholder exceeds the £250 limit, then do they have to state the expected cost per leaseholder?

I've found this
http://www.lease-advice.org/s20main.htm#Notice of intention to carry out work
Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (as amended) (the 1985 Act') provides that a landlord (as defined by Section 30 of the 1985 Act) must consult leaseholders who are required under the terms of their leases to contribute (by payment of service charges) to costs incurred under qualifying works, where the contribution of any one leaseholder will exceed £250. 'Qualifying works' are defined by Section 20ZA of the 1985 Act.

I'm struggling to find any reference where it says "the landlord must provide details of the expected cost per leaseholder".

In our own case, a number of quotes were provided, but no reference made to how much each leaseholder would pay if the cheapest quote was used.

Eg:
£18K quote, we have £8K in our funds, so there will be a £10K shortfall, which is £1000 for each leaseholder.
Surely they would have done this calculation to see if the amount was going to exceed £250 before running the exercise?
Happy chappy

Comments

• tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've found this too, but it's still a bit vague:
    http://www.lease-advice.org/scgrmain.htm#Consultation on major works
    Next, in most cases the landlord must serve a second notice on the leaseholders, the Notice of Proposals. This sets out the details of the proposed works and the likely costs. The landlord must supply a statement setting out the estimated amounts of the proposed work specified in at least two of the estimates, and make available for inspection all of the estimates for the work, without charge.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I found this too
    Stage 2:
    We must give you an estimate of your contribution.
    http://www.newham.gov.uk/Services/LeaseholdConsultation/AboutUs/HowMajorWorksConsultationWorks.htm

I'm trying to find an online copy of the 1985 act.
    Happy chappy
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I edited this bit out after reading the other thread.

From memory, my old landlord was given notice that the roof needed doing on the block of flats I lived in. That came with a quote for the total cost of work to be carried out. He queried this and was told that it was a legal requirement that all the leaseholders would have to pay equaly. Is that any help?
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lease-advice.org have advised me that:
    -the agent is not obliged to inform the leaseholders of the expected cost per leaseholder.

-consulting on both interior and exterior work and then only actioning exterior work is acceptable, since the total cost per leaseholder would then be less.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport