Council Tax: They owe me 2 years single persons discount!

Options
Hi there, my name is Sean I'm a long time lurker, first time poster looking for advice on reclaiming council tax.:think:

Having moved into my flat in May 07 and notifying the council of single occupancy and also making a telephone call last year to query my bill amount I have still ended up paying too much council tax. I only noticed this year on comparing my bill with that of a neighbour. Long and short of it is I've been overcharged by £680 to date and on enquiry deny having received my notification of single occupancy.

I cancelled my direct debit wrote to the revenues and benefits office last month to notify them and ask for a cheque for £680 and a revised bill for this year to include the 25% discount upon which I proposed to re-instate the direct debit. It seems they could not be bothered to reply to my letter and merely issued a revised bill for this year with the discount and the £680 deducted. So effectively paying me back my £680 over 9 months without interest.

Does anyone think I have a case for pressing them for that £680 cheque (it would be handy come holiday season!) and if so what can I use as leverage without ending up in hot water for non payment of council tax! The Revenues and Benefits office here in Watford are extremely obstinate and unhelpful? I'd say bordering on beligerant over the phone!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2009 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Sean79 - this method of refund is normal procedure. You can ask them to refund overpayment in the form of a cheque payable to you, but I'm not certain if they're obliged to do this. I don't believe there is any leverage you can apply, you certainly can't threaten to stop paying your council tax.

Councils don't pay interest on refunds as there is no provision in council tax law for payment of interest where there has been an overpayment.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, please reinstate your DD asap, councils may be slow on refunding overpayment, but they're red hot on chasing non payment.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • chnelomi
    chnelomi Posts: 462 Forumite
    Options
    just be thankfull that you got any sort of refund so quickly. I got my first flat at 17 and paid council tax for the flat in full did not find out till later that you don't pay council tax at 17. It took 3yrs and several trips to main council tax office along with birth certificate and passport and filling out a new exemption form each time before they eventually paid me what i should not have paid.
    slowly going nuts at the world:T
  • Sean79
    Sean79 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I feel for you chnelomi having been on the receiving end of some of these petty minded jobsworths!

I knew there wasn't much hope really, I've already asked for the refund in the form of a cheque and simply been ignored (the part that annoys me most).

Perhaps my original post was unclear I haven't threatened to stop paying my council tax (that would be dumb), I cancelled the direct debit, notified them in writing and asked them to bill me the old fashioned way instead from now on. I've set up my own monthly standing order into a savings account to make sure the cash is there to pay them. At least opting for bills I can make sure I'm charged the correct amount BEFORE I pay. I simply dont trust them with a variable direct debit on my account any more and would need it backed up better service from their help desk before I would. Anyway I guess I'll just have to pay the £68 bill that will see this year's council tax cleared, chalk it up to experience and make sure I dont get caught out giving 3 year interest free loans to the council again!
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They wont pay you back. I had a issue of over payment and they basically said its my fault for not knowing the rules. I even went to tribunal and they ruled in favour of the council

You can ask but dont expect a 100% outcome
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The council have it both ways over payment they claim it back from you. If you over pay they still keep it even when you have prove you over paid them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure