Payment of Water rates?

Options
Hi All,

sorry if this is been posted before, i had a look and couldnt see anything. Can any body advise whether when paying bi-annually for water whether you pay in advance 6 months or in arrears?

We paid in around feb time a bill for water (about £60) - we moved into the property in September. I then left the property in November and after a dispute with the water company received my final Bill.

The bill is stating for period upto sometime next year ( i don't have it with me to check), but i advised them that i am no longer in the property. Ok if this is back payment, but if you normally pay in advance then i dispute this completely.

There is obviously some confusion here, but thought you guys cud advise what is the norm for paying water??

Regards

Donna
Total Debt as of Sep 06 - £22 978 :eek:

1st Milestone - Pay off HSBC CC £535.00 to go.

Debt Free Date - Feb 2009 :j

Comments

• jenk_3
    jenk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work for a water company in the billing dept (dont shoot me please :) ) so i cant onl advise on how they used to bill. If you dont have a water meter you pay twice a year in advance, normally 1st April 1st Oct, or you could pay by 8 monthly installments interest free, used to be may - dec but i think has now changed to April - Nov. So if you pay the half yearly figure in April and move out in August you are due a refund, again is you pay in April and in Oct but move out in Feb, you are again due a refund.

If you have a meter you either pay monthly based on your usage past or guessed or you pay in arrears as soon as the bill arives which is quarterly.

Any questions please ask.

Emma
    :j Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :j

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
  • Trout69
    Trout69 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Emma,

Thanks for your post, i think therefore i am trying to be charged for next years water, and obviously i am no longer in the property. I'll have to see whether i can dig out some old statements to see how many payements have been made. I know there was definately a payment between feb-apr this year, which would have paid 6 months in advance upto say aug/oct time. So im sure i don't owe them an additional £60. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks very much for your informative post.

Donna

• DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    If you no longer live at the property - your account should be closed to the date of vacation and an ammended final bill sent to you.

DJ
  • Trout69
    Trout69 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    DJ1UK wrote:
    If you no longer live at the property - your account should be closed to the date of vacation and an ammended final bill sent to you.

DJ
    Thats what i contacted them about...but they have still sent me a bill for what appears to be an advanced payment, i'll dig out the bill tonight and call them tomorrow about it, i just want to make sure that i have my facts correct before hand.

Thanks all

Donna

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport