Large Letter QR Code?

I posted a large letter item today at the post office, they printed out a square label and looked like it had a QR scan code on the label.
I look at my receipt and there is no code or tracking. It's ok as item low cost so taking a chance on the non tracked.
So what is that QR code on the labe on the large letter label?
Is it's like ok not trackable, but RM could tell if it had been delivered, if I submitted a claim, IE tell them where it was posted from, going to on and what date etc?
Always baffles me this does on LL.

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Eventually it will be tracked, first on business mail.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Eventually it will be tracked, first on business mail.

Ah ok, I am not a RM business customer, so explains why not on my receipt.
    OK many thanks.
  • ontheup1972
    ontheup1972 Posts: 90 Forumite
    All the large letter codes can be scanned by Royal Mail, but currently the delivery confirmation from those scans is only available to business customers who use software that can produce 2D barcoded labels through a solution such as click and drop, and then they must specifically use the 24 and 48 service.

Anything 1st and 2nd class, whether through click and drop, or through ebay, or through the post office, only has delivery confirmation on parcels. It does look as though Royal Mail are in no rush to roll out delivery confirmation on 1st/2nd class LLs, and maybe have no plans to do it at all.

It's been over a year since I started getting delivery confirmation on my 24/48 LLs
  • ballisticbrian
    A small parcel now costs over double what is did a decade ago, so it seems to have been on a price escalator to basically get rid of untracked parcels.

I wouldn't expect to get the same service on LL for free.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • ontheup1972
    edited 5 July 2018 at 2:44PM
    They're on about hiking prices for LLs which don't have delivery confirmation, in the future - obviously to try and force all OBA users onto the 24/48 service through click and drop.

A lot of non VAT registered businesses wil not use the 24/48 code through click and drop because it has VAT added whereas 1st/2nd doesn't. Making it approx 13p more expensive to use 24/48 over 1st/2nd for those businesses. The downside of using 1st/2nd is that they are not getting the delivery confirmation that 24/48 does.

So for non VAT reg businesses it boils down to 13p per LL for delivery confirmation if they want it.

For VAT registered businesses the 24/48 and 1st/2nd work out the same because VAT can be claimed back on 24/48 - a VAT registered business is going to choose 24/48 any day of the week.

I think we'll see the prices of 1st/2nd increased more than 24/48 over the next few years, until there is no saving for anyone to be had by using 1st/2nd.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to use a mix of RM 24/48 and OBA on click and drop. I don't get delivery confirmation on my LLs as I use the VAT free OBA but just occasionally it might be useful to have the ability to basically upgrade to use the VAT added 24 /48 service instead. Realistically I have very few problems but just sometimes, quite rarely, something about a buyer nags in your brain and delivery confirmation would be useful, but not useful enough to warrant paying £1.10 signed for .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    I just assumed the VAT free OBA you have had access to all of it. I don't know how it works.
  • ontheup1972
    soolin wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to use a mix of RM 24/48 and OBA on click and drop. I don't get delivery confirmation on my LLs as I use the VAT free OBA but just occasionally it might be useful to have the ability to basically upgrade to use the VAT added 24 /48 service instead. Realistically I have very few problems but just sometimes, quite rarely, something about a buyer nags in your brain and delivery confirmation would be useful, but not useful enough to warrant paying £1.10 signed for .

You've confused me a little bit here. When you say VAT free OBA do you actually mean you're generating labels through C&D but using the VAT free BPL codes? Or do you mean that you're not using click and drop and just using your OBA (online business account) in the old way with PPI impressions?

Anyway, yes you can use any combination of services through C&D.

There are many non VAT registered businesses who send their parcels with the VATable CRL code 24/48 service because it is the same price (or at least was) as the non VAT BPL code 1st/2nd service, but can work out cheaper through total averaging. Some of these very same businesses will use the non VAT BPL code 1st/2nd for their large letters as it works out cheaper.

So yes a mixture of 24/48 and 1st/2nd is acceptable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport