format sd card

ktate
ktate Posts: 114 Forumite
HI all hope someone can help me please
iv a camera with a sd card 1 gb and its full of photoes that id like to keep but when i put it into my main computer it says it needs formatting iv tried a few others and they keep saying the same am i doing somthing wrong or do i need to formatt it would i loose everything on the card any help is much appreciated thank you kt

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You might be snookered, but do you have a lead to connect the camera to a pc and see if it will read it that way?
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    do not format or you will lose everything
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you tried another card reader? I would avoid cheap pound shop readers - one of my memory cards suddenly became permanently unusable after using it with one of them, so I have never trusted them since.

You can usually connect the camera to your computer with a USB cable. I would also try this.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Put the card back into that camera of unknown make and model, and use the usb or data cable supplied to get the pictures off to store on your PC.

some of the newer camera also have wifi capabilities too?
  • ktate
    thank you all im sorry didnt give you all infomation i know i should have its a fuji finepix z10 it dosent have a cable but it has infrored nice pocket sized camera but if i cant get the pictures off it itisnt very good the card came with it and is 1 gig again thank you for all your info i will try another card or a camera and see what happens
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 3:59PM
    ktate wrote: »
    thank you all im sorry didnt give you all infomation i know i should have its a fuji finepix z10 it dosent have a cable but it has infrored nice pocket sized camera but if i cant get the pictures off it itisnt very good the card came with it and is 1 gig again thank you for all your info i will try another card or a camera and see what happens

It may not be supplied with a cable but, according to Fuji here, it does have USB2 capabilities. Most, if not all, digital cameras should have a USB socket to enable easy transfer of pictures from the camera to PCs and other devices.

It probably has a mini or micro USB socket. Google or look here to identify the type of socket fitted.

All you need to do is get a suitable USB cable ( a few £pounds only or you might find one in Poundland and similar budget shops) and you will be able to connect it to a PC or Tablet etc.

Edit, from looking at a few images on google I think your camera has a Mini B USB2 socket but I might be wrong. Mini B sounds right for a camera of that vintage.

You therefore probably need Mini B to Standard A cable as most PCs have Standard A sockets.

Take the camera to an electrical shop, a phone shop or a big Tesco or Sainsbury with an electrical department and they should be able to confirm the cable required.
  • photodgm
    photodgm Posts: 236
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If it is the Fuji Finepix z10fd it does have a usb port see p116 of the manual. Are you using a SD card or a xD picture card?
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    photodgm wrote: »
    If it is the Fuji Finepix z10fd it does have a usb port see p116 of the manual. Are you using a SD card or a xD picture card?

Here is the link (sorry if someone else posted it and I missed it )
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/54764/Fujifilm-Finepix-Z10fd.html?page=116#manual

It does talk about a disk, but I would treat the camera + usb cable as a usb type drive (and remember to eject the usb connection :) ).

there is a caution message, as not to format the card on a PC. this could mean that most people either select the wrong format, or is a propriety format
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 27 June 2018 at 4:25PM
    Referring to this manual in my post: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/z/finepix_z10fd_manual_01.pdf

Page 10 states the camera does come with a USB cable.

Page 116 tells you how to connect the camera to a PC.

If you don't have a USB cable - or have just mislaid like I do amongst my rats nests of cables - you can buy one cheaply on eBay. Here is a link to such listings, but beware that some are from outside the UK so might take a little longer to arrive: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=finepix+z10+cable&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
  • ktate
    Big Thank you to all your answers
    there is a mini usb under a rubber seal so you were all right
    i dont think it came with a manual or its been mislaid
    will get a mini cable and see if that works
    again Big Thank you to you all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing