Pure Planet reviews: add your feedback

Comments

• PurePlanet
    PurePlanet Posts: 199 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    plumcherry wrote: »
    Just found Pure Planet and it looks very interesting - seems almost the same setup as giffgaff do with mobile tariffs.
    I would be setting this up for my mothers home while I work abroad and have a few questions I had trouble finding through their own site.

1. Do they offer the warm home discount?
    2. Is there an early exit fee?
    3. How often is the meter reading needed?

regardless if this meets my requirements i love the idea of cutting out call centres and going app only so definitely be looking out for more like this.

Hi @plumcherry
    Great to hear that you're interested! :j
    Let me help you out with your questions.
    1. We are currently unable to offer the warm home discount. It's still quite early days for us. As we grow, we hope to introduce it.
    2. We don't charge any exit fees
    3. We ask members to send a monthly meter reading so their account is always up to date. If you can't, don't worry. We'll simply use our best estimate of your energy use to calculate your monthly spend. And we'll update your account when you're able to send a meter reading.

Hope that helps?
    Marc @Pure Planet
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Pure Planet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • Initial thoughts on my switch to Pure Planet, then... I'll edit and update this as and when necessary.
    • Well-priced energy. The "membership fee" easily equates to a standing charge if you think of it on a daily basis.
    • 100% green electricity and carbon-offset gas is very attractive if you want the extra smug factor.
    • App works fine. Easy to install, looks impressive, has the needed functionality.
    • Registering and initiating the switch was easy. I had one "server unavailable" error, but that cleared immediately.
    • Meter readings really easy to enter through the app - much better than using a web site, as you can obviously hold your 'phone while looking at the reading. Indeed, they asked for a photograph to confirm the readings, and have even thought to put a flashlight button into the app so you don't have to switch the 'phone flash on manually as you dig through the cupboard.
    • Communication has been good, as you'd expect from what I'd assume to be a wholly- or mostly-automated process.
    • Switchover confirmed a day earlier than planned, without issue.
    • Moves to introduce smart metering through 2018, which is more than my previous supplier had considered (either from what they'd announced or from what they said when I challenged them).

So far, so content.
  • PurePlanet
    Initial thoughts on my switch to Pure Planet, then... I'll edit and update this as and when necessary.
    • Well-priced energy. The "membership fee" easily equates to a standing charge if you think of it on a daily basis.
    • 100% green electricity and carbon-offset gas is very attractive if you want the extra smug factor.
    • App works fine. Easy to install, looks impressive, has the needed functionality.
    • Registering and initiating the switch was easy. I had one "server unavailable" error, but that cleared immediately.
    • Meter readings really easy to enter through the app - much better than using a web site, as you can obviously hold your 'phone while looking at the reading. Indeed, they asked for a photograph to confirm the readings, and have even thought to put a flashlight button into the app so you don't have to switch the 'phone flash on manually as you dig through the cupboard.
    • Communication has been good, as you'd expect from what I'd assume to be a wholly- or mostly-automated process.
    • Switchover confirmed a day earlier than planned, without issue.
    • Moves to introduce smart metering through 2018, which is more than my previous supplier had considered (either from what they'd announced or from what they said when I challenged them).

So far, so content.

Thanks Prof Yaffle
    That's great to see :j
    Glad you like it so far.

Marc @Pure Planet
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Pure Planet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • gryphon
    gryphon Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    FAO Pure Planet.

I am 2 months into a deal with yourselves, this morning i receive an email advising me the my electricity will be going up 0.756/kwh and gas 0.231/kwh on the original quoted and agreed figure this equates to a £72/year rise on my estimated usage.
    Firstly can you raise the agreed original figure
    secondly, i'm not a happy bunny.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    gryphon wrote: »
    FAO Pure Planet.

I am 2 months into a deal with yourselves, this morning i receive an email advising me the my electricity will be going up 0.756/kwh and gas 0.231/kwh on the original quoted and agreed figure this equates to a £72/year rise on my estimated usage.
    Firstly can you raise the agreed original figure
    secondly, i'm not a happy bunny.

Did you take out a fixed or variable deal - busted swapped to OutFox the Market, who's 18 Month Fixed deal is cheapest available - if they raise costs of fixed, agreed terms, surely that's breach of contract?
  • gryphon
    gryphon Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    editor1 wrote: »
    Did you take out a fixed or variable deal - busted swapped to OutFox the Market, who's 18 Month Fixed deal is cheapest available - if they raise costs of fixed, agreed terms, surely that's breach of contract?

It's the 100% Green deal i am trying to read the in's and out are
  • PurePlanet
    Hi @gryphon and @editor1
    We offer one tariff for all our members.
    It's a variable rate, based on wholesale costs. By giving you energy at a pass-through rate with no markup, we've created a tariff that'll provide great value to all our members, for the the long term.

Hope that helps

Marc @ Pure Planet
    Verified Company
  • Yeah, I had a similar negative reaction as I got the price rise notification the day after they confirmed my switch. However, I understand that it's a variable tariff, and the prices remain broadly competitive for green energy.

Personally, I'd have to see if there's a ripple of price rises through the other suppliers before drawing any conclusions.
  • Well, two weeks on and Pure is sitting ~ 5% higher than the very cheapest renewable deal that MSE offers, although carbon offset gas is more of a minority offering. More can be saved if drowning polar bears is more your thing.

Within the bounds of acceptable for the green side of things, perhaps, but probably pushing it for many people.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    plumcherry wrote: »
    Just found Pure Planet and it looks very interesting - seems almost the same setup as giffgaff do with mobile tariffs.
    I would be setting this up for my mothers home while I work abroad and have a few questions I had trouble finding through their own site.

1. Do they offer the warm home discount?
    2. Is there an early exit fee?
    3. How often is the meter reading needed?

regardless if this meets my requirements i love the idea of cutting out call centres and going app only so definitely be looking out for more like this.

This is the latest Ofgem List of suppliers that offer the WHD (as at Feb 18):

The following energy suppliers are compulsory participants in scheme year 7 of the scheme (June 2017 - March 2018):

British Gas
    Co-operative energy
    EDF Energy
    Economy Energy
    E.ON
    Extra Energy
    First Utility
    Flow energy
    Npower
    Scottish Power
    OVO
    SSE
    Spark Energy
    Utilita
    Utility Warehouse
    The following are voluntary members of the scheme and only offer support under the ‘Core Group’ element:

Our Power
    Fischer Energy
    Bristol Energy

It is worth pointing out that White Label suppliers normally link into their parent company WHD Scheme.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback