PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steps towards zero waste - 2019

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    So pleased to have found this thread :)
    I have been looking at buying a sewing machine - I used to do a lot of sewing, dressmaking and household stuff, but haven’t done for about 15 years since my antique hand Singer started mis-behaving and life got in the way...
    Now I’m on my own and looking for a productive way of spending my spare time I thought sewing might be just the thing :)

I have a lot of household linens I don’t use any more but still have plenty of life in them - I’m wondering about turning some into quilts...?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 January 2019 at 3:17PM
    inkie wrote: »
    I need to find a milk-man.
    Does anyone still use them? I hope that I can find one locally as it will kind of defeat the object if they are having to drive for miles to deliver my milk.

If you put your postcode in on this website it will show if there is a local milk delivery in your area

see post below- kept going to wrong page. Sorry...oops!

HTH
    and mostly delivered in glass bottles!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katie - the link doesn't work:(
  • jackieblack
    Katiehound wrote: »
    If you put your postcode in on this website it will show if there is a local milk delivery in your area
    https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/:
    HTH
    and mostly delivered in glass bottles!
    Katie - the link doesn't work:(

Need to remove the : at the end
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • Katiehound
    edited 3 January 2019 at 3:17PM
    https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/Dairy/c/Milk

Tried to change it in original post- and it got a blip- so new post and correct web page- I hope!!

and yes, checked it works!! Weirdly, before ,even deleting the offending colon it would not work...
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • jackieblack
    I had to pop into Tesco yesterday and noticed that they had some jute shopping bags printed with a Christmas/snowy scene, SEL said reduced to half price, £1.50. When I got to the self checkout it rang up at 75p so I went back and got a few more - that’s all my gift bags for next Christmas sorted and hopefully the recipients will re-use afterwards :)
  • dragonlily
    dragonlily Posts: 186 Forumite
    I can't believe it is the 4th January already, yesterday was a bit of a write off as the worst of the the cold hit :(

Still bunged up today but have more energy so am hoping I am on the mend. One perk of being ill was not buying things. Although I did order on eBay a replacement strap for my trusty old brown leather briefcase as the strap broke beyond my repair skills before Christmas. £8.99 for a replacement is better than replacing my whole bag and keeps an item in service, and not in landfill.

I have done some cleaning today, not zero waste as have been using up wipes (again bought pre my quest to reduce waste, and again now I have them think better to use up.) The bathrooms were looking decidedly not nice post Christmas and me being ill, so relieved they are done and at least I feel I have done something today. Any ideas for lower waste toilet cleaner? I am down to my last bottle of my usual stuff.

I have also cleaned the fridge, and although had a bit of food waste, the careful meal plan of last week, and low spend food shop last week has paid off!

Greyqueen, thanks for the sewing tips, hopefully my aunty will be round soon, and I will look at them properly once we are set up.
    My Dad has always preferred a proper cotton hankie to tissues and we’ve bought loads over the years - last place I saw them was in Dunelm last weekend, on a sale shelf alongside slippers/scarves etc, have also seen them in M&S, Tesco (F&F), Asda (George) and Sainsbury (Tu)
    Thanks Jackie, I think we should try making some :)

Well done on your gift bags, they are a bargain find!

x
  • Katiehound
    dragonlily wrote: »
    Any ideas for lower waste toilet cleaner? I am down to my last bottle of my usual stuff.
    x

I live in a very heavy limescale area and am also very careful with water (if it's yellow let it mellow motto!) which does not result in a pristine loo!
    TBH most of the toilet cleaners (even those that say for limescale) don't seem to be brilliant. For the last couple of cleans I have left a lot of white vinegar in over night, and then the next night some bleach. I'm not keen on bleach but this time decided it was the only way

It was said that a cheap bottle of own brand cococola made a great loo cleaner left overnight. Haven't tried that one.

Hope you are feeling more human now
    Many thanks

• Brilliant thread! My New Years resolution is to reduce our household waste, particularly plastic, although I actually started last year. I’m buying fresh produce from our local market and have just discovered that there is a Bio cleaning products refill shop in town too so will be using that.
    The thing I’m finding hardest is getting the rest of the family on board though - 14 year old DS came home yesterday with a milkshake in a plastic cup with a lid and - horror of horrors - a plastic straw! Our household consists of me, DH, 14 year old son and 18 year old daughter and her boyfriend and none of them seem bothered by the amount of waste we produce. Any ideas ?!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) One tip I forgot which is sometimes very useful, is that you can apply a very slight pressure from your foot to the treadle, enough for the machine to hum slightly but not start stitching, and gently turn the wheel a bit.

In case you're wondering why on earth anyone would want to do that, sometimes a machine will balk at going through several thicknesses of fabric just on it's own treadle power, but you can 'walk' it through by turning slightly by hand for a few stitches. This would be where you are on a seam that is very thick, rather than trying to force genuinely too thick fabric through.

A domestic sewing machine has a finite capacity for handling very heavy cloth or multiple layers, an industrial machine is a completely different kettle of fish; stronger, more powerful and scarily fast (and yes, I have experience with both ;)).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills