Printer that can scan double-sided

zagubov
zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
I'm chucking out tons of old paperwork. Decades worth of documents.

Is there a printer available with a feed that would let me scan my papers in bulk (double-sided ideally) so I can just store software versions of everything before I bin or destroy it?
There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2018 at 8:44PM
    Double-sided scanning is quite an exotic requirement for a mainstream printer.

My printer (HP 6960) does have a document feeder for scanning, though. You can scan all the front sides, and then all the back sides and then use software to put them into the correct order.

Have a look for these small office machines from HP and other manufacturers - they are often not that much more expensive than home machines, either.

If you are thinking of buying a new one, watch out for Black Friday deals coming up. Printers seem to be a particular category that Retailers want to get rid of.
  • zagubov
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Double-sided scanning is quite an exotic requirement for a mainstream printer.

My printer (HP 6960) does have a document feeder for scanning, though. You can scan all the front sides, and then all the back sides and then use software to put them into the correct order.

Have a look for these small office machines from HP and other manufacturers - they are often not that much more expensive than home machines, either.

If you are thinking of buying a new one, watch out for Black Friday deals coming up. Printers seem to be a particular category that Retailers want to get rid of.

I think an office machine might be the way to go for me. I was planning on looking for a Brother printer and wonder if anybody knows how good they are as scanners.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They are as good as the specification and the price.

You can get cheaper ones and ones where it may cost more than your house.

Are you hand feeding or do you want to autofeed the documents?

What resolution do you require? How long to scan a full page or sheet?

Lots of variables which boils down to how much do you with to spend? cost / time / quality. Faster and/or better quality = more money.

60 pages per minute £1400, up that to 80 pages per minute and your adding another £700 or so. Do you want to spend £2000 though?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    They are as good as the specification and the price.

You can get cheaper ones and ones where it may cost more than your house.

Are you hand feeding or do you want to autofeed the documents?

What resolution do you require? How long to scan a full page or sheet?

Lots of variables which boils down to how much do you with to spend? cost / time / quality. Faster and/or better quality = more money.

60 pages per minute £1400, up that to 80 pages per minute and your adding another £700 or so. Do you want to spend £2000 though?

At thos kind of prices would it be more economical to take them to a print shop and have them scanned there, not sure if they offer self scan if there's anything confidential in the paperwork.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• zagubov
    I appreciate this is a weird requirement.

It's no bother how fast it goes -there's no urgency; if a feeder system could do this the time taken is irrelevant.

The resolution needn't be astonishingly high.:)
  • Cornucopia

OTOH, the small office 3-in-1 machines with document feeders start below £100. (Mine was £70).
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    OTOH, the small office 3-in-1 machines with document feeders start below £100. (Mine was £70).

I'd agree - many of the newer multi-function machines will scan double sided - I have an HP 8620 which does it very well and cost less than £100
  • Cornucopia
    This has been replaced by the HP 8720, whose specification confirms double-sided scanning...

https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/hp-officejet-pro-8720/137610
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have a Canon MG5650 which scans double sided without any problems, I use it frequently as it saves a fair amount of paper.
  • kerri_gt wrote: »
    At thos kind of prices would it be more economical to take them to a print shop and have them scanned there, not sure if they offer self scan if there's anything confidential in the paperwork.

Or scan for free in your local library.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure