Childcare Vouchers v Govt. scheme?

Hi all,
I’m unfortunate enough to have changed employers recently and not switched my childcare voucher scheme in time so I now have to go on the Government run scheme.

How much of a disadvantage is this scheme compared to the childcare voucher scheme? Are there any advantages at all?

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To start you off have a read of this article:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/tax-free-childcare/
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    It really does depend on your circumstances.

Childcare vouchers are better for us but if we had higher childcare or more children then tax free childcare would be better.
  • buel10
    buel10 Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for this.
    A question - my wife is suggesting that she leave the childcare voucher scheme and joins the Government scheme.
    Opinions on this, please?
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    buel10 wrote: »
    Thank you for this.
    A question - my wife is suggesting that she leave the childcare voucher scheme and joins the Government scheme.

Impossible to give an opinion - as explained above it depends on your exact circumstances.

But in your original post you said you were going onto the Government scheme (assuming TFC) - your wife will have to give up her vouchers if you do that.

So you need to work out if you are better with only your wife getting vouchers or if she should give them up and you join the TFC scheme. Your wife can't keep vouchers if you apply for the TFC scheme as that is based on a couple.

IQ
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    buel10 wrote: »
    Thank you for this.

If you go to the Government scheme, your wife will have to leave Childcare Vouchers, no choice, part of the contract.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure