failed engine

ginashamz
ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
hi, i have a 2006 mazda rx8 pz and the engine has recently failed. My local garage tells me the engine needs a rebuild and the apex seals needs replacing, totalling around £1800. I have owned the car for the past 7 years and it has never failed on me, i have always maintained it the way it needs to. i was abroad for the past 4 months and i stupidly let the misses drive it and told her very clearly to top up the oil once a week and long story short but she didn't do this and the engine went kaput. with exception to the p*ss poor mpg i really like this car but wondering if spending nearly £2k is worth it or should I scrap it and buy another rx8?

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Problem is if you buy a different car you could end up with the same engine issues. At least with a rebuild you know it's good.
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2018 at 10:38PM
    Get a new car / rebuild
    And a new missus that has some sort of IQ!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So your choices are;
    1. For only £2k you could get an excellent well maintained s/h 2006 mazda rx8 pz that you really like, or
    2. Spend at least that much and probably 50%-100% more to get one you have no idea about its history and might go kaput the next week?
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    sorry should have really thought this through before posting up this question. In hindsight, it makes absolutely no sense in buying another rx8 not knowing their service history. Just wondering whether i should spend the £1800 plus vat to fix the engine or just scrap it completely and buy another car? i have had the rx8 for a while now and even though i had no plan to replace it with another one this could be an opportunity for me to explore another car.
    i don't have a particular budget in mind, it entirely depends on the car but for the right car, i willing to spend up to £30k. was thinking about either a new subaru brz, mazda mx5 or the lotus evora.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Rebuild the engine. It would have needed it around 70,000-80,000 miles anyway as the tips of the rotors wear. If the vehicle is otherwise in good condition don't go buy another RX8 because without proof its had a recent rebuild it probably isn't going to be too far from needing one.

In regards to buying something else I think spending money on another car, especially a much newer one, to avoid a repair bill is silly and most certainly isn't money saving. The amount of money you'll lose just in depreciation on any of those cars you've mentioned in the first year would make that £1800+VAT repair bill look like the bargain of the century in comparison. By all means buy something else if you want to but don't kid yourself you're doing it to save money because you aren't.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Is there a particular reason you want to stick with an R8 over other sports coupes?

They are nice cars, but you could use this as an opportunity to try something different. In y view the engine is an interesting design, but not good enough to overlook more conventional engines in other cars.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    John-K wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason you want to stick with an R8 over other sports coupes?

They are nice cars, but you could use this as an opportunity to try something different. In y view the engine is an interesting design, but not good enough to overlook more conventional engines in other cars.

Such as which cars?
  • https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX8-231-Refurbished-13B-MSP-Engine-Including-Fitting/273188201939?hash=item3f9b4925d3:g:0SAAAOSwjVVV5Fc-

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-Mazda-RX8-2007-192-Bhp-13B-ONLY-67-000-MILES/222835460264?hash=item33e20748a8:g:NwEAAOSwYDZagWlf

I know nothing about either and make no recommendation but there are some cheaper options than £1800.

I sympathise about the misses/oil; I don't know why but the two seem to be mutually exclusive in my experience also. However boiling up the car and blowing the head gasket are definitely mutually inclusive where wife's are concerned.
  • Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2018 at 12:54PM
    The dilemma you'll have is when the next bill arrives for new brake pipes, corroded fuel lines, rusted sills etc. on a 12yo car

Having spend £1,800 on the rebuild, you'll be thinking i've sunk all that money into it, so I'd best fork out another £500 etc. When do you stop?

As it's done you well for 7 years, I'd say you've had your money's worth and move on.

>but for the right car, i willing to spend up to £30k.<

PLenty of options -

Porsche Cayman
    Audi A5 Quatro Black Edition
    Toyota GT86
    BMW Z4M coupe
    Lexux RC200t
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The dilemma you'll have is when the next bill arrives for new brake pipes, corroded fuel lines, rusted sills etc. on a 12yo car
    Well my MX5 is 13 years old with no sign of needing any of those.
    Having spend £1,800 on the rebuild, you'll be thinking i've sunk all that money into it, so I'd best fork out another £500 etc. When do you stop?
    From a mathematical and money saving point of view, NEVER. It is NEVER cheaper to replace with a new/newish car than to repair the one you have. You could replace the RX8s engine, suspension, gearbox, steering, brakes for less than the first year's depreciation on most new cars.
    PLenty of options -

Porsche Cayman
    Audi A5 Quatro Black Edition
    Toyota GT86
    BMW Z4M coupe
    Lexux RC200t

All of which will depreciate far more in the first year of ownership than the cost of repairing every single thing wrong on their RX8 in one go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure