Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 11:29 AM
    • 5,695Posts
    • 70,507Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 11:29 AM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 11:29 AM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 17-05-2019 at 1:22 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 298
    • skimper
    • By skimper 17th Mar 19, 7:25 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    We only ended up spending a few hours in the spa as it was pretty small, the only thing I worried about was 'leaking on the massage table! Haha.
    It was a lovely weekend away & the afternoon tea was gorgeous.
    AF is easing off so back to the baby baking soon.

Hope everyone else is going ok!
    • Mrsburrows2018
    • By Mrsburrows2018 18th Mar 19, 1:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mrsburrows2018
    Glad you had as nice a time as possible Skimper! Have fun baby making ��

Well after my quite dark opk cd6 just after my period they have been barely there from cd10 to today cd13, normally by now, well from the last couple months they have hit peak already. Though the one step ones I'm using are pretty poor, even the control line seems to only show quite faint. I have some others that I like on order from Ebay and picked up some poundland ones as a tide me over.

I have been looking at the clearblue advanced fertility monitor, does anyone have one and would recommend it?? I'd love the Ava fertility bracelet thing but the price is way outta my budget even 2nd hand!

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders since my due date has passed. It's still a knife in my heart seeing my 2 work colleagues posting their new baby pics on fb, especially as one had their baby on my due date. But it's getting easier.

Fingers crossed for us all this month!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 22nd Mar 19, 5:35 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Skimper, I'm glad you had a lovely weekend! I wish my OH would give a spa a go, however he doesn't think he would like it!

Mrsburrows2018, I haven't used to fertility monitor I'm afraid. I used the CB digital ovulation sticks with the flashing and static sticks for a few months. However, I have found temping the most reliable (and cost effective!) method.

According to FF my fertile days have started with ovulation predicted on Saturday. Ovia fertile week has started with ovulation predicted on Tuesday (so slightly later). OH is away this weekend so looks like we will be BDing tonight and Sunday night!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 22nd Mar 19, 3:13 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    I didn't think my OH would like it tbh but we had spa day vouchers from a wedding present, he wasn't too fussed on the spa but enjoyed the massage & food.

I used to use the cheap one step ones from Amazon, they were ok, but couldn't really tell the exact day of OV.
    Fertile week starts tomorrow, I think we need to do more BDing in the days running up to OV I think we tend to leave it quite late and BD the before/day of/after, I know its the best time but just to make sure I'm not missing OV.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 31st Mar 19, 10:24 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    So this month hasn't gone according to plan, OH got a viral infection and has been really ill the past week, so we've completely missed fertile week. We BD on CD10 which is 4-6 days before OV so I don't think we've got a chance this month.

How are you all doing?
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 2nd Apr 19, 6:29 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Sorry for being MIA. We (finally) moved home on Friday. We did the whole move ourselves (didn't even hire a moving van!) so it was an exhausting week! Ovulation ended up happening last week so I'm pretty certain we are out as there was no way I had the energy for BDing!

OH's hospital appointment is next week so crossing our fingers we get some answers. In the meantime we are enjoying settling in to our new home, we are totally in love with it!

I hate when illness gets in the way skimper, we had a couple of those months last year!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 3rd Apr 19, 8:11 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    Aww congrats, least you can get settled now & there's less stress! Enjoy finding a place for everything!

I've just had very light butd if pink when I wiped, I'm only cd20 & AF isn't due till next Tuesday (even then that's a 25 day cycle) so god knows whats happening. I'm trying not to over think it all, but that little devil is saying maybe it's implantation? Though I know our chances of catching this month is very low due to timing.

OH has his hospital appointment next Thursday for his SA, I'm away with work so he has to go on his own, which will probably stress him out.
    • Mrsburrows2018
    • By Mrsburrows2018 6th Apr 19, 11:29 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mrsburrows2018
    Well af hit while I was at work thurs avo, makes my last 3 months 30, 28 and now 29 days so some regularity at least. I'm gutted again though, before the miscarriage we fell pregnant within 3 months of trying, it's been 7 months now and 3 with regular periods.

I want to try and be like I was before we fell pregnant and relax and just have fun trying, I didnt temp or use ovulation tests or anything, just tracked my cycle in the flo app and went with when they said was my fertile week and boom....but I did have a wedding to take my mind off things then too.

I work in a supermarket and see newborns all the time and my heart aches. Plus all the gorgeous baby clothes when they get reduced....temptation!!!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Apr 19, 8:32 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    There's always a little voice saying 'could this be?' in our heads Skimper, it's hard to ignore it as there IS always a chance! How did you get on?

MrsBurrows, that is good news that your cycles are regulating. Fingers crossed this bodes well for a BFP soon!

We had OH's hospital appointment on Monday and sadly it wasn't good news. There are two reasons for low testosterone and sadly his isn't the easy fix one with the male version of clomid. We have to wait for the notes from this meeting to get back to the GP then hope for a referral to the fertility clinic. It looks like assisted conception is our only option, but from what I've read the chances of OH having swimmers that can be used is extremely low. Obviously we don't have any certainty yet so trying to not think about that too much and just focus on the next step. As Oh has children from a previous relationship we'd have to pay for fertility treatments anyway I believe so I've contacted the two local clinics to get more information on their services/costs and the next step. I can't help but feel upset/angry that we are in a loving happy relationship and yet we can't have a child to cement that, it just doesn't feel fair.
    • Bee90
    • By Bee90 10th Apr 19, 11:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bee90
    Hello all

Iím new here. Iíve just had a mc. Trying to be positive and to find information about our chances of conceiving again.

About me:
    Iím 41, OH is 36, this was our first pregnancy after ttc for 3 months. I was astonished that it happened so quickly, but then had a missed mc that was diagnosed at 9 weeks

For obvious reasons, we want to try again as soon as possible. Weíre both healthy and fit, but Iíd like to give us the best possible chance next time (if weíre lucky enough to conceive again). Iíve just bought It Starts With the Egg and am starting to read it.

Has anyone else got a similar story and how soon should we start ttc again? Iíve read that itís possible to conceive very soon after a mc as your body is still in pregnancy mode.

Would love to hear from others around the same age especially.

Thanks for reading if youíve got this far
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 10th Apr 19, 11:53 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    I'm so sorry PKK.

Hi Bee90 (and everyone!) I'm kind of lurking as I'm finding all of this hard... I'm still reading all the posts though

I'm 41 (hubby is 45) and J will be 4yrs old in a few weeks. We've been trying since September? last year? can't remember lol! I conceived in Nov/Dec but the pregnancy didn't progress.

I'm not charting at the moment - we're kind of taking a break from that sort of intense side of things.

Not much else to say - I'll just send hugs to anyone and everyone who needs one
    xx
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
    • skimper
    • By skimper 13th Apr 19, 10:52 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    Unfortunately AF showed up, I'm currently CD4, full of a cold and feel crap!
    OH had his SA test on Thursday but it will be 2-3 weeks before he gets the results.

Mrsburrows, it's good that your cycles are getting regular, makes OV more predictable.

PKK, I'm so sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom for you but hopefully you get that referral.

Bee90 welcome to the board, sorry to hear about your MC, sorry I can't answer your question but we have some lurkers that may be able to pop along and give you some advice.

Aunty pickle, the ttc journey is extremely hard, I've been around the board long enough to know that every month you don't get a positive is devastating. We are all here if you do need to vent or a chat
    • Mrsburrows2018
    • By Mrsburrows2018 13th Apr 19, 8:32 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mrsburrows2018
    Bee90 my hospital were useless when I had my mmc last August, but I was told at my followup scan that you are highly fertile just after a loss. It didnt work that way for me unfortunately, I bled for almost 5 weeks and was so emotionally wrecked I couldn't contemplate sex and potentially getting pregnant again at that point. Plus as you can see from my posts my cycle has taken months to settle back down. My best friend however fell pregnant after her miscarriage, she only took a test as she was due to start clomid again, they'd had sex once and caught lol.

Skimper hope you feel better soon, and fingers crossed for those test results.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 19th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Bee90 - sorry to hear about your mc. I haven't suffered a mc myself but have many friends who have and have started TTC again quickly afterwards and some that waited longer. It came down to when they felt ready emotionally, so if you both feel ready to start trying again then I would say go for it!

Skimper - sorry Af Showed up . Hoping time passes quickly until OH gets his results.

Aunty-Pickle, just to reiterate what Skimper has said, we are always here. Seems those of us on here at the moment haven't had the best journey so far.

We are hoping to speak to our doctors next week (she's on annual leave) and get our referral to the fertility clinic. However we are 99.9% certain we will have to fund it all ourselves anyway so we have been in contact with the two local fertility clinics and went to look round them yesterday. We have alot of information to digest and decide which one to go for now!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 19th Apr 19, 9:34 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    Ladies I'm in need of some advice.

Last night when I went for a wee & wiped there was a very faint hint of pink, this morning I'm heavy spotting. I'm cd10, so around ovulation & definitely shouldn't be bleeding. So it's scaring me.

Last cycle I had a hint of pink on cd23 and dismissed it because I was close to AF.

Has anyone else experienced mid cycle bleeding before?
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 20th Apr 19, 2:57 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    Skimper, I used to have a fair amount of mid-cycle bleeding - mostly after BD. When pregnant they did discover a cyst in the Pouch of Douglas (just behind the uterus) which they thought might have contributed towards some bleeding.

It was never investigated further and, to be honest, the GPs when I saw them were never that concerned. I think if it's a one-off (or not continuous cycles) and if there isn't any accompanying pain or discomfort then make a note of it and try not to worry about it.
    If it keeps happening, then see your GP.

Obviously, that's just my experience and I'm not a doctor or anything so if you're at all worried, go to your doctor!
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
    • skimper
    • By skimper 21st Apr 19, 10:42 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    Thanks aunty pickle.
    I had 2 days of spotting, some quite heavy but it looks like it's stopped now. According to Google, ovulation bleeding is a thing! It can be caused by a drop in hormone levels. Fingers crossed it's over with now.

Hope your all enjoying your bank holidays!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 22nd Apr 19, 10:12 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I was going to say that I had read about ovulation bleeding skimper.

I think a change in hormones (which could be for a variety of reasons) can also cause it.

I get it sometimes and it is caused by my cervical ectropion, which is a very common condition and lots of women don't even know they have.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 23rd Apr 19, 6:46 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    skimper
    Thanks both!

Luckily the bleeding only lasted 2 days so back to normal in time for some bding before ovulation.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 23rd Apr 19, 7:28 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Happy BDing skimper! My fertile week this week too so hoping to get some bding in (I have to remind myself you only need one little swimmer and egg!).

I have been doing some research into supplements to help men. Is/were anyones OH's (Inc those of you who are lurking after your BFP's) taking any supplements?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,187Posts Today

7,504Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• Follow Martin