Savings accounts accepting DD's

Comments

• PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've given up on Post Office Money. I've tried a few more times and it just won't have it. I'm going with Ecology instead which is more outlay than I wanted but I can't be hanging about waiting for it to work on the off chance as I'm wanting to do a switch.

I tweeted to Post Office Money and they didn't really care. I'll keep trying on the off chance but I'm not trying every day like I have been.

PO customer service is pretty shocking in my experience - there are plenty of examples on the forums where they've managed to !!!!!! up even the most simplest things. It generally easier just to jump ship and move elsewhere, rather than risking that they mess up your accounts that do work trying to fix the one that doesn't work - I've got 3 accounts that are "blocked from being debited" that have a few quid each in them, but its easier to just leave that be so they don't mess up the others that do work! Maybe one day I'll be bothered to sort it out when I need to close them ALL down :P
  • PRAISETHESUN
    castle96 wrote: »
    How many B'ham Mids a/c's can I have. Cant see a limit

I recall reading something when I opened mine ages ago about there being a limit of 2x BM internet savings accounts per customer - that's how many I have. Only the first account needs a cheque to open as it's an identity verification thing, the second can be opened through online banking after the first has been set up. You can also change linked accounts without needing a new cheque after you've set up the first account - useful if you only have one current account with a chequebook.

I also remember reading somewhere ages ago that someone had some success in opening more than 2 accounts by waiting until after they downgraded their accounts after the initial 12 month period, since the system saw them as not having more than two accounts of the same issue or something - something you could try if you've already had two accounts open for more than 12 months
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I already had the Yearly Interest BM and it just let me open the Monthly BM about 15 minutes ago.

I didn't know you didn't need to provide a cheque the second time, so I've just set it up using a different account with a chequebook to the one I actually wanted it set up on. Can I change the account details already?
  • quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've got 3 accounts that are "blocked from being debited" that have a few quid each in them, but its easier to just leave that be so they don't mess up the others that do work! Maybe one day I'll be bothered to sort it out when I need to close them ALL down :P

I have the same problem with my PO savers. I got one of them fixed with a support call, but couldn't be bothered for the others as they are just a few quid and they pull in the DDs OK.

I'll call and get sorted when I need to, so expecting to require multiple phone calls!
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have the same problem with my PO savers. I got one of them fixed with a support call, but couldn't be bothered for the others as they are just a few quid and they pull in the DDs OK.

I'll call and get sorted when I need to, so expecting to require multiple phone calls!

I've got the same problem. Some I cannot link a current account to, some have a linked account, but I can't set up a direct debit. I did manage to sort one out, but that required so much effort I'm leaving the others as they are.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I recall reading something when I opened mine ages ago about there being a limit of 2x BM internet savings accounts per customer - that's how many I have. Only the first account needs a cheque to open as it's an identity verification thing, the second can be opened through online banking after the first has been set up. You can also change linked accounts without needing a new cheque after you've set up the first account - useful if you only have one current account with a chequebook.

I also remember reading somewhere ages ago that someone had some success in opening more than 2 accounts by waiting until after they downgraded their accounts after the initial 12 month period, since the system saw them as not having more than two accounts of the same issue or something - something you could try if you've already had two accounts open for more than 12 months
    The 'limit' is, or was, at least 5 in my experience. All opened within a few weeks of each other. And all still open after the bonus period and pulling monthly.
  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Silly question perhaps but can I have more than one active direct debit from a single PO Online Saver account? E.g. a weekly one and a monthly one.

I would try to experiment doing it online but given all the technical difficulties with PO I don't want to !!!! up the existing direct debit!
  • PRAISETHESUN
    dcs34 wrote: »
    Silly question perhaps but can I have more than one active direct debit from a single PO Online Saver account? E.g. a weekly one and a monthly one.

I would try to experiment doing it online but given all the technical difficulties with PO I don't want to !!!! up the existing direct debit!

I'm fairly sure you are allowed to queue up multiple transactions on a PO saver (ie. a monthly and a weekly as you describe). However, you can only link one current account per PO saver and each transaction will still use the same DD mandate regardless of the payment frequency, so depending on the current account you are using that may or may not work for meeting account requirements (eg. Tesco is okay with a single PO saver paying out 3+ times per month, whilst M&S Bank requires four separate PO savers).
  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm fairly sure you are allowed to queue up multiple transactions on a PO saver (ie. a monthly and a weekly as you describe). However, you can only link one current account per PO saver and each transaction will still use the same DD mandate regardless of the payment frequency, so depending on the current account you are using that may or may not work for meeting account requirements (eg. Tesco is okay with a single PO saver paying out 3+ times per month, whilst M&S Bank requires four separate PO savers).

Thanks, so to clarify a separate weekly and a monthly DD from the same Post Office saver wouldn't count as two DDs for M&S Current Account, and only one?
  • quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have been using Robo-Investment platforms to supply £1 direct debits (Wealthify, Wealth Simple, eVestor). Works fine, but have now realised it was a bit of a blunder as no longer being a new customer means I've missed out on possible new customer bonues :o

I see till 30th June there is £40 available for Wealthify - Doh!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/robo-funds/
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback