Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    I'm going nuts (nuttier than usual). The sites all give me different results for the same KWh usage. Is the only way to work it out accurately to phone each supplier and ask them what the bill would be for x KWhs?! Not really feasible.

I am with EDF dual fuel fixed until end December. I'm losing the energy to keep looking for energy prices :-O
  • doveman
    doveman Posts: 188
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Scottish Power are being !!!!!!.

When I switched to them a few months ago, I gave them detailed annual usage figures for the last few years, which are pretty stable, and they agreed with my calculation that £63/month would be plenty (which is bad enough seeing as I live in a one-bed flat, with no washing machine/dryer and no freezer, only a tiny compartment in my fridge).

Now I've given them my first meter readings, they've increased it to £75/month. I e-mailed them with my past figures again, explained that I expect my usage to decrease this year if anything, but they've basically just told me they know best.

Hopefully I'll get this sorted eventually (even if I have to go to the Ombudsman), but I could do without the hassle. :mad:
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi doveman,

If you e-mail me your details and consumpiton history to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] I will see fi we can prevent the DD increase for you.

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • doveman
    Forumite
    Hi doveman,

If you e-mail me your details and consumpiton history to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] I will see fi we can prevent the DD increase for you.

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower

Thanks Graeme, will do.
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    IF it helps anyone else, EDF's online 1 year fixed (until end Dec 2012) is exactly the same price as their 'new' (priced hiked) standard tariff. For London anyhow.

They are doing a £50 cashback if you fix until March 2013 but this effectively reduces the amount you pay with the price hikes. We worked out that even with the £50 cashback if we fix, we will pay 10% more on electricity and 12% more on gas (would have been 22% more on gas..£100 more p.a).

Comparison sites are showing me 'savings' of up to £100 but the overall figure for the yearly consumption still shows EDF the cheapest for me. Most confusing.
  • wendy05
    wendy05 Posts: 1,365
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pigeonpie wrote: »
    IF it helps anyone else, EDF's online 1 year fixed (until end Dec 2012) is exactly the same price as their 'new' (priced hiked) standard tariff. For London anyhow.

They are doing a £50 cashback if you fix until March 2013 but this effectively reduces the amount you pay with the price hikes. We worked out that even with the £50 cashback if we fix, we will pay 10% more on electricity and 12% more on gas (would have been 22% more on gas..£100 more p.a).

Comparison sites are showing me 'savings' of up to £100 but the overall figure for the yearly consumption still shows EDF the cheapest for me. Most confusing.
    not confusing, dont forget that other companies have also had a price hike .
  • tog22
    tog22 Posts: 33
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If anyone could clear this up for me, I'd be very grateful. I've just initiated a switch to the EDF Fix for 2012 via moneysupermarket (hopefully meaning £30 cashback ). But I've now seen Martin's email about the NPower GoFix8 and am wondering whether to switch to this - I think I'm in the final day of my cooling off period.

Confusingly moneysupermarket still shows the EDF Fix for 2012 via as £53 cheaper based on my usage (1600 electric KWh/year; 8000 gas KWh/year). But (a) I don't know if this includes the £100 voucher and (b) when I compare the KWh/standing charges EDF have just sent me to those NPower's site give me when I get a quote, NPower's are cheapest on all counts!

How can this be? Is moneysupermarket not as reliable as I thought?! :o

If anyone's interested here are the figures:

EDF Fix for 2012 we signed up for has for midlands (same price all areas for lec standing charge and gas):
    E SC: 13.8 KWh: 12.79
    G SC: 20.71 KWh: 3.521
    94% discount for online DD may apply to these charges; also £8.40 discount but thats nothing

Npower quote from their site is:

deletethis.png

• I currently pay £102 for gas and elec ( dual) a month with british gas.

me and my partner and 19 month old son.

Does this sound excessive ? as im thinking about changing supplier to get cheaper deals.
  • tog22
    tog22 Posts: 33
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ralphy101 wrote: »
    I currently pay £102 for gas and elec ( dual) a month with british gas.

me and my partner and 19 month old son.

Does this sound excessive ? as im thinking about changing supplier to get cheaper deals.

It depends :) But for comparison here's my spend for a couple of quarters with what was the cheapest online non-fixed rate last year, which went up probably in the second quarter quoted:

Electricity 4/4/11-1/7/11 399 kWH £49.46
    Gas 4/4/11-1/7/11 655 kWH £31.78
    Electricity 2/7/11-22/9/11 £47.86
    Gas 2/7/11-22/9-11 £24.72

And here's my usage for an earlier quarter (sorry, I know this doesn't allow an easy comparison but it's all I have to hand):

Electricity 4/1/11-3/4/11: 499 kWH
    Gas 4/1/11-3/4/11: 3452 kWH
  • doveman
    Forumite
    Hi doveman,

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower

I thought it only fair to come back here to say that Graeme has now dealt with this and restored my DD to £63/month :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback