Remembrance Sunday. Am I simply old fashioned or do standards matter.

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Poppies represent the blood of those who fell in conflict.

I have a great respect for the Remembrance Service and all those who attend the services at War memorials all over the country, however they are dressed. But I saw blood and lost mates in the Far East, Middle East and Northern Ireland. I don't do Remembrance Parades and I don't do Reunions.

I Remember mates all year round: wherever I am near a war Memorial, I make a point of bowing my head, closing my eyes and Remembering those killed and maimed. One of which was a heroic German Shepherd who gave his life in Ireland. Never a week goes by that I don't do this, I have had differing reactions to this, from jeers and sniggers to someone walking up to stand with me. That last has happened 3 times over the years and always gives me hope.

But the truth remains that when the last soldier is killed in the last armed conflict on this planet, the Earth will be a much better place.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think you're right Primrose , it probably is about the advice given or not given. It seems that most people know it's expected that you dress up for, for example, a wedding but not that there's also a way for a more solemn occasion.

I know that job centres advise on how to dress for an interview.

Also, with things like Remembrance many will be in uniform so those not in uniform try to look well turned out too.
  • maman wrote: »

To come back to my original example I'm sure that young people, if asked, would tell you that people get dressed up to go to the races. I think the poster who said they hadn't been properly briefed may have got it right.

I don’t think most young people go to the races.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don’t think most young people go to the races.

I disagree. I've been on the train when loads of young people are off to Ascot with their smart dresses and fascinators. The men are in suits. It's probably because they insist on a dress code for certain areas of the course but also because dressing up is part of the day.

I've also seen many pictures online and in the papers of young women at Ladies' Day at various courses.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    maman wrote: »
    I think you're right Primrose , it probably is about the advice given or not given. It seems that most people know it's expected that you dress up for, for example, a wedding but not that there's also a way for a more solemn occasion.

I know that job centres advise on how to dress for an interview.

Also, with things like Remembrance many will be in uniform so those not in uniform try to look well turned out too.

That is changing as well. My cousins wore some fairly skimpy outfits for their mother's funeral - not out of disrespect but that was their idea of smart.. Funerals also have more people requesting bright colours rather than black.
    And as far as men are concerned, the sale of suits is on a downturn - why would you buy one just to hope it fits when you next drag it out in a few years time?
    My grandmother wouldn't have set foot at a wedding or funeral without hat and leather gloves. That doesn't happen so much any more.
    Times change; it's the intent that counts.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I wonder whether it,s also partly due to the fact that National Service was abolished many years ago. I do notice that those who underwent any kind of military training seem to have a different attitude towards how they dress for public appearances like today. I suppose for many young men at the time that was perhaps the first introduction many of them may have had to the concept of how to dress and what was appropriate to wear on public occasions.

I must confess I purchased a nice black wool coat in a charity shop some years ago and with the passage of time it seems to enjoy ever more frequent outings for funerals these days! Changing standards can cause confusion. At one time you always knew what kind of clothes were required for a funeral. Now you you never know whether to turn up in black or dressed in bright colours looking like a circus clown and the fear of getting it wrong and causing offence can be embarrassing.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I think it is good that dress standards have become more informal as I hate having to wear a suit/tie etc - luckily my workplace has recently gone for dress down on friday but a lot of people now want dress down every day and there is talk that this could go ahead
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Different people may have different ideas of what's smart. If you normally wear jogging bottoms and a t-shirt, then jeans and a jumper may be smart. And if you don't own a suit/dress trousers/a formal overcoat then it shouldn't keep you away.

I used to wear suits to work most days. Then I started working from home and only needing to wear suits when I was client-facing. Now I'm in the office more and never need to wear a suit - although I will dress more formally if I'm delivering a conference keynote or meeting with clients in their offices.

What I wear in our offices will depend which one I'm in. The sales/marketing office is a 'smart casual' environment. The US office is slightly different (think dressed-up jeans), which the third office (where I spend most time) is very young and casual and makes me feel old :D.
  • maman wrote: »
    I disagree. I've been on the train when loads of young people are off to Ascot with their smart dresses and fascinators. The men are in suits. It's probably because they insist on a dress code for certain areas of the course but also because dressing up is part of the day.

I've also seen many pictures online and in the papers of young women at Ladies' Day at various courses.

Of course some young people go, but I definitely don’t think it’s a regular thing for most, by any stretch.
  • Primrose wrote: »
    I wonder whether it,s also partly due to the fact that National Service was abolished many years ago.

National Service was abolished 60 years ago!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure