Problem playing radio via Google Home

Options
I've got 4 Google Home Mini devices, one in each room, they're linked together as a group and I use them to listen to the radio so that each one is playing the same station.

I say "OK Google play BBC Radio 4 on home group" and it'll say "playing BBC Radio 4 from the BBC on home group" and it starts a few seconds later.

Recently, I've found that quite frequently it'll says it's going to play but there's just silence. It's got to the point where I'm having to use a normal DAB radio and carry it round instead.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and found a way round it?

Thanks

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, but from your post it isn't clear whether you ask a second time or not. Or, do you try once and then go to your DAB?
    Occasionally, I have to ask a second time after experiencing the same as you, but, never any more.
    I've found that whenever they play up (which isn't often) rebooting them clears whatever was causing it.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    Sorry, but from your post it isn't clear whether you ask a second time or not. Or, do you try once and then go to your DAB?
    Occasionally, I have to ask a second time after experiencing the same as you, but, never any more.
    I've found that whenever they play up (which isn't often) rebooting them clears whatever was causing it.
    I've certainly tried asking a second and third time, and on those occasions when it doesn't work, it still fails to work.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    its female so may be temperamental? :rotfl:
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    its female so may be temperamental? :rotfl:
    I've changed the voice on mine to a male one!
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've changed the voice on mine to a male one!

The problem is that it just doesn't listen, then!
    OK, to actually try to find the problem, are any of the 4 lights showing on the devices? If they didn't have WiFi there would be a problem, but if that happens to me 'she' lets me know about it.

Other than that, how about trying the BBC Sounds app on your phone or whatever, and casting it to your speakers? If the phone doesn't get the stream, it could be a temporary problem at the BBC end?
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't I hear something that BBCSounds had been withdrawn from some 3rd party suppliers?
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it just BBC Radio 4 or any radio/audio that is failing? If it's just the former, it's unlikely that the problem is on your end.

Have you tried casting BBC Radio 4 from an app to the speakers (sorry no idea if it's available on an app), to eliminate the voice control element as the source of the issue?
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Murmansk wrote: »
    I've certainly tried asking a second and third time, and on those occasions when it doesn't work, it still fails to work.

Have you rebooted?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm wondering if TuneIn offer radio station services for Google via their smart speakers.

If so that *might* be where the problem lies; the BBC have revoked their licence a few weeks back.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure