Wedding & engagement ring lost by jeweller, advice needed

The rings have been misplaced while in for repair. The wedding ring is a gold band with 5 little diamonds and the engagement ring a white gold band originally with 9 little diamonds.

A bit of back story first: 2 stones have been missing from the engagement ring for a few years after a resize, I couldn't afford to get them replaced so I didn't wear it anymore. At the end of August I injured myself and the hospital had to cut my wedding ring to get it off my swollen finger.

At the beginning of September I got in touch with a local jewellery school tutor, met with her and we came up with a repair/rework plan for both rings. I told her there was no rush to have them back, she was going to keep the labour cost down by demonstrating to her students how to do the various bits. This would mean she couldn't start work on them immediately till her classes recommenced in October.

2 weeks ago I sent her a message to see if she had made a start and I got a message back that the rings have been misplaced and that she was turning over the house over half term to find them. I've checked with her yesterday and they still haven't been found.

She has suggested making me a temporary wedding ring from silver and cubic zircs until they turn up, or "making a gold replacement and hope the insurance covers the cost of the gold"
Or suggesting a cut off date to contact her insurers. She also said the diamonds would be difficult to replace but I don't know if she means as part of the insurance claim or not

Anyway, if you've read this far... I don't know what to do. I'm obviously very upset about the sentimental aspect and it's our 15th wedding anniversary on 4th December. From a monetary perspective the rings originally cost about £450 in total but I'm assuming the insurance claim will know that they were in for repair so will they give a pittance for them? To buy them again would obviously cost a lot. Any advice or help please?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Whether the insurer pays in full or not is down to the insurer she choose, it is for her to make good the loss.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Whether the insurer pays in full or not is down to the insurer she choose, it is for her to make good the loss.

This - I know a lot of jewellers. They all have insurance - and they would all make it good for the customer, and then claim from their insurance.

Approach the person and say what you expect/need - if you have already paid for the repairs, then they should supply 2 replacement rings finished to what they would have been when repaired.

If you haven't paid for the repairs yet, then you could offer that, and then get the finished rings. It'd be a bit odd to get replacement 'broken' rings.

Diamonds are not difficult to replace - jewellers can access any number of sizes, cuts etc (but may have limited choice in clarity/inclusions if needing them in a rush, so may have to pay more for an identical size/shape for fit the ring). What she probably means is they will be expensive to replace and she's not sure her insurance will cover her.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Technically all she would be due back is an engagment ring with stones missing and a wedding ring that had been cut IF she has not paid for any repairs.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Does the woman definitely have suitable insurance? I am just wondering as you said she is a jewellery TUTOR, so I am reading that as meaning she teaching how to make jewellery rather than have a jewellery shop.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It sounds like a casual arrangement to me. . .
    OP, did you get a receipt for the rings detailing the work to be done?
  • I think you need to cut your losses and buy new rings. Luckily they are cheap so won't cost much to replace. It's just sad from a sentimental point.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Whether or not she has insurance, it is up to her to replace the rings as she has lost them.

If you have already paid the cost of the work, they she shoud replace them with rings as they wouild have been once repaired (or moeny for you to replace them yourself)

If not, then she should pay ypu the value of them before the repair.

You may want to to get another jeweller to quote for what it would cost to replace the rings so you know what a reasonable figure would be.

I would expect her to have, and claim from, her own insurnace but she needs to 'make you whole' either way.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure