Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Zuzel wrote: »
    Aldi have British strawberries (called "Not Quite Perfect" or something similar) 227g for 98p!
    I didn't buy any because they'd have had to sit in my car for that long they'd have been jam by the time I got home but TBH they didn't look any different to the usual British strawbs.

I noticed that they had wonky raspberries a while ago, but the price was virtually the same as the non-wonky ones, just a tiny bit cheaper.
    Stompa
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Zuzel wrote: »
    Aldi have British strawberries

Probably store specific, but the weekend before last mine had lots of Scottish strawberries with 50% off stickers.

I think the Scottish ones always taste much nicer.
  • Bill23h
    Bill23h Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Probably store specific, but the weekend before last mine had lots of Scottish strawberries with 50% off stickers.

I think the Scottish ones always taste much nicer.

Scottish strawberries in early May? The climate is weirder than I thought. Must be greenhouse grown, surely?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Lidl do a very good ginger beer (2 litres for around 45p) but it seems to have vanished just in time for the summer!

Anybody else seen it around, or has it gone for good?

Too many brands appearing in Lidl (and Aldi) taking up valuable shelf space. They're rarely competitive on price compared with Tesco et al, and if I wanted brands (which I definitely do not) I'd shop there!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Too many brands appearing in Lidl (and Aldi) taking up valuable shelf space. They're rarely competitive on price compared with Tesco et al, and if I wanted brands (which I definitely do not) I'd shop there!

I find that perplexing too. If they could source a brand and sell it considerably more cheaply than the major SMs I'd understand. Selling brands at the same or even higher prices really doesn't make sense. :(

It doesn't always apply though. For a long while, Aldi sold Mornflake Oats at the same price per kg that their own (which had disappeared). Own brand is back now but in plastic instead of a paper bag.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Just a warning for anyone looking at the rather nice little milk saucepans at Aldi (Kirkton House 'brand' - £9.99):

They're described as suitable for induction hobs, but they certainly aren't! They don't work, and ours is going back.

Several bad reviews, quite a few returns, I'd guess, and comments about the staff not caring.

Maybe Aldi should listen to their feedback a little more to avoid unsuitable items like this being left on the market to annoy people.

We have an induction hob and I have a tiny magnet sitting in my handbag. I place this on the bottom of the pan and if sticks there with a “satisfying click” it will work well on an induction hob.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Murphybear wrote: »
    We have an induction hob and I have a tiny magnet sitting in my handbag. I place this on the bottom of the pan and if sticks there with a “satisfying click” it will work well on an induction hob.

That's the test we've always used - successfully. Based on that, and the assurance on the label, we bought the pan, but it was useless and had to go back for a refund.

The reviews bear that out - it's useless for induction hobs, probably, I'd guess, because the induction base hasn't been manufactured to the correct specification.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    The magnet trick to test if a pan is induction is fine as indicates the presence of steel (iron) however it doesn't demonstrate how good an induction pan is when you use it. Some can be effective others need the heat higher to cook at the same level, or be ineffective. Induction hobs are a case of "try and see".

Miele saucepans we have are good, but weren't cheap to buy however we came across "neverstick" pans a while back and they are excellent as have a very good non-stick coating and the pans work well on induction and also the pans are inexpensive.

https://groceries.asda.com/search/neverstick

Often these pans go for half price or similar at Asda so you could get a large pan reduced from £18 to £10 if you hang on for them being discounted. Use these pans and you won't go back to normal pans...
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Off topic, but the Daily Mail today has a voucher for £5 off a £20 spend at Lidl. Valid until Close of business on 19 th June.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Off topic, but the Daily Mail today has a voucher for £5 off a £20 spend at Lidl. Valid until Close of business on 19 th June.

Also in the Mail on Sunday, tomorrow.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/lidl/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family