Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Comments

• Hi there just came across Freedom Pop sim only deals 99p for a sim card with no monthly fee and 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 mb data.

Does anyone have experience with this, seems too good to be true?

they have 2 other deals &4.99 per month for 500/500/500 and £6.99 per month for unlimited/unlimited/2250 mb data
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think the problem with this is you need a 3G connection to make calls.

So depends what your reception is like where you want to use it
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    wrong post
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    richjee wrote: »
    Hi there just came across Freedom Pop sim only deals 99p for a sim card with no monthly fee and 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 mb data.

Does anyone have experience with this, seems too good to be true?

they have 2 other deals &4.99 per month for 500/500/500 and £6.99 per month for unlimited/unlimited/2250 mb data

It's not good enough for using as your main point of contact unless you have very low expectations.

Calls don't connect, sometimes people calling in get ringing tone while the phone doesn't ring, no access to any 08xx or 03xx numbers, and everything only works via an app.

I also don't think they'll be around in the medium to long term future...
    ====
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Not everything. I only use mine for data and don't need an app.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2017 at 9:55PM
    Good luck getting the Amazon voucher from BT. They say 45 days but many people have taken to the BT forum to complain it's taken much longer. You will need to chase and if you are lucky you might get them in 3 or 4 months.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/Amazon-iTunes-Voucher/td-p/1548419/page/42
  • ANGELWINGS
    ANGELWINGS Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I swapped over to Plusnet in January and had the same problem of waiting for my number to port. I was given one months rental in compensation. However, I have just found out the hard way ( because it's not listed in the terms and conditions) that there is no facility for short number texting with Plusnet. Therefore if you are in a car park and want to pay with your mobile you might find you can't. Their reason is that they are saving their customers from running up huge bills by texting numbers that often cost more than a standard text rate. I say this is utter rubbish because all customers with Plusnet have the option to set their safe cap limit between £2 and £10. They say they may look into it and change it in the future. If they don't hurry up I'm off somewhere else with my business, it's like going backwards and basically feeling like you are not an adult who can be responsible for using a sim.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are numerous issues with Plusnet Mobile's tariff sheet - all of which they have declined to fix, not least failing to point out that mobile shortcodes are blocked.
  • oldharryrocks
    oldharryrocks Posts: 533 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2017 at 5:47AM
    shrewseddy wrote: »
    The BT Mobile prices with voucher and cashback are a good deal for BT broadband customers, but they have a sneaky limitation which isn't publicised.

Even though BT own EE, don't expect to get unrestricted EE speeds. BT throttle the top 4G speed you can get to 30Mbps download. That's probably OK for most users but if you you do want to go faster then you have to pay another £4 per month for the Extra Speed bolt on.

You must have missed this then on the BT website .

"You get fast 4G in more places than O2, Vodafone and Three on all our mobile plans as standard and can go up to twice as fast with our Extra Speed add on "

Even Virgin only offer 25Mbps

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html
  • With PlusNet mobile texts fail to send on the first attempt, but used to get that with Life mobile also. And the fact they don't have a usage monitor also, yes I know that there are generic ones available but even so...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback